Epilogue (Revised 4/21/2020)

As I suspected, the police didn't believe us. They didn't know what to think of Miles' carcass as well as the other few alien bodies they found. With almost the entire town destroyed, it didn't matter what the police thought of our stories. The incident attracted the attention of the FBI.

Turned out there were fifteen survivors overall including us seven from the community center. Cameron was overjoyed to learn his mother and sister were two of them.

After taking our statements, the FBI issued us waivers making us agree to not talk about what happened while they worked to put things back together. It was the last thing I wanted to do, part of me feeling as if I were giving Miles what he had wanted by not talking about the horrors his kind had put us through.

I had no idea what happened to the other aliens, and if they were out there or not. Somehow though, the knowledge that there were others who knew the aliens existed gave me the idea that we would be safe. At least for the time being. The FBI would no doubt keep an eye out for any signs of similar attacks, and with the bodies of the deceased aliens in their care, they could learn everything they needed to know about them.

About two weeks after the incident, Cameron was released from the hospital, and things were almost the same as they had always been. With Lilliana dead, I didn't have a home to go to, but thankfully, Cameron's mother agreed to take me in. They helped me make the funeral arrangements for my grandmother, and for that, I was thankful.

It was something I would've never been able to do on my own.

Cameron made sure I was never alone again, and that was something else I was grateful for. Over time, his playfulness returned, but every once in a while, he would look at me with a guilty twinkle, and I would remember it all.

The wounds Miles gave me, physically and mentally, would always hurt, but we had survived, and we would be ready if the aliens tried to invade ever again.