16. Breaking Apart

Alice

"So?" Hugo asks, "Where did you ran off with Malfoy? Are you two secretly dating?"

I sigh in defeat, stopping for a second to give Hugo, Alvin, Alex and Fritz another glare. They've pestering me non-stop about Malfoy since class ended.

In the end, I stayed with Malfoy until the first recess time and rushed towards my next class, avoiding him on most occasions.

"Just how far is your imagination going to take you?" Fritz snorted. "Don't even think about them dating. I'm sure they would tear off each other's hair if they get too close, right?"

"That's true as well. But I'm curious what he said to you that would take that long. Is it related to.. You-Know-Who?" Alvin asks carefully.

I pull my lips to a thin line as I remembered my dark side. Being in Hogwarts for about four months almost made me forget about my linage. Maybe because I've been hanging around Harry and the other D.A members too much I took everything for granted, hoping maybe I could get away from my cursed cousin.

"Alice?" Alvin called softly as he rested his hand on my shoulder and squeeze it lightly. "I'm sorry. It just.. slipped. Especially with what Fritz have been telling--"

Fritz and Hugo suddenly put their hands over his mouth, stopping Alvin mid-sentence. The three of them seems to be comunicating through their eye contact, all the while sending side glances towards me and Alex, who look just as lost as I.

"What is it?" Alex asked. His voice sounded normal and steady, but his trembling fists and cold eyes tells another story.

The three of them gulped almost at the same time and swear rolled down their forehead.

If I didn't say I was suspicious, I would be saying an obvious lie. They never seem this nervous about anything. And right now, I feel like they're hiding something from me and Alex, the only thing we vowed to never do around each other.

"Is there something you're hiding from us?" Alex asked again.

They stay quiet, fiddling with their fingers and opening and closing their mouth as if trying to get the words out of their mouth.

"Hey--"

"Stop it, Alex." I put my hand to his chest to stop him from running to them. "Looks like you've got something you can't telk to a Slytherin like us, huh?"

"Alice, it's not--"

"Ah, no, no. I don't need any excuses. Being a Slytherin is bad enough. And a blood relative to You-Know-Who? If that doesn't scream danger," I send them a dissapointed smile, "I don't know what else."

"Save your breath, sis," Alex sighed, finally composed and calm. "We don't need to hang around these traitors anymore."

And with that, Alex pulled me away, leaving them stunned on the middle of the empty corridor.

○ SP ○

Tears rolled down my face as we pass by crowding students around the Slytherin's table. None of them bothered with us, which is a good thing.

The hurt after knowing my three best friend is keeping something took a bigger blow to me than I expected.

I thought our live in Hovwarts would be just fine as long as our blood linage is hidden from the others. I never thought it would be from among us that broke us apart...

"Alice, you've got to at least eat something," Alex pleaded beside me as he wiped a single tear drop away from my face. The chaos around us perfectly hid my sobs.