XVII

Seventeen

Sam had been in the library all morning, books and papers scattered across the table. He'd woken up around sunrise, determined to get a head-start on the day's search for the summoning ritual. So far, it was a quarter past eleven and he'd come up with absolutely nothing useful. With an exasperated sigh, he closed his laptop as he dragged a palm across his face. The sound of faint gurgling reached his ears, and just like that Sam was reminded he'd neglected to feed himself.

"Sounds like someone skipped out on breakfast."

He lifted his gaze from the table to find Alaine sauntering toward him, balancing a plate of sandwhiches in her hand. He smiled, watching as she approached.

"You heard that?"

"How couldn't I? It sounds like your stomach's trying to digest itself."

Sam chuckled. "Yeah, feels like it too."

"Lucky for you, I come bearing gifts. A couple of turkey and cheese sandwhiches on whole wheat."

Alaine set the plate down in front of him, smiling as he nodded his thanks. She moved to the other side of the table and sat across from him.

"So, what have you been up to?" she asked. "Any leads yet on the spear?"

Hungrily, Sam picked up a sandwich from the plate and took a generous bite, chewing slowly. "Mm, nothing yet on the spear. I did find us a case though."

"Really? What's the lowdown?"

"Three disappearances, all males in their late twenties. Happened a few days ago on a camping ground in Russellville, Arkansas."

"So, they just upped and vanished?"

"Seems like it. There was no sign of a struggle at the campsite; all their belongings were still there when the cops showed."

Alaine's brow furrowed slightly in thought. She leaned back in her chair, her thumb tracing the outline of her bottom lip as the gears in her brain turned. "Sounds like it could be a wendigo."

"I thought so too, but there would've been signs of a struggle."

"What are you thinking, Sammy?"

The younger Winchester took another bite of his sandwich and shrugged. "Don't know really. It could be a number of things, but I think we should check it out."

"Check what out?"

Both hunter's gazes flickered over to Dean as he casually strolled into the room. He came up beside Alaine, stopping to drop a tender kiss to her lips. She in turn lifted her face toward his and hummed softly in content at the bristle of his facial hair against her chin.

"Mornin', baby."

"Good morning," she smiled as she stroked the side of his jaw. "Sammy's found as a case today. Sounds pretty promising."

Interest sparked in the man's eyes. He pulled away to cast a glance at his brother sitting across the table. "Alright, talk to me, man. Whatcha got?"

Opening up his laptop, Sam motioned Dean over. The elder Winchester left his post at Alaine's side and wandered over to Sam. He hovered behind him, watching as his fingers flew across the keyboard. A moment later, a police report came up on the screen. Dean leaned forward, his hand settling over the backrest of Sam's chair.