prologue

Why was glass so pretty when it shattered? 

I watched the little shards of diamonds that  seemed to freeze in mid-air. I remembered thinking--How pretty is that? Glass decorated the snow around me as I went numb. Everything was slow; everything was calm. There were no sounds anymore, just quiet. I wasn't cold or warm--I was just existing, but even that felt like it was fading. It was like watching the beautiful colors of autumn being covered in the death of winter.

There was a belief that before you died, your life would pass before your eyes. 

All I knew was that in my final moments; I did not relive my first steps or my first words. I did not see my first day of school or my first kiss. Everything that someone would think that they would see; was not what I saw at all. Instead, all I saw was him. His eyes, his smile, his hands--everything that I tried so many times to memorize was all that was inked behind my eyelids as they fluttered shut. 

Every touch.
Every moment.
Every first. 

He was my whole life. 

He was all that I cared to see--all I cared about for that matter. It was ironic to see the beginning of something great in the final moments of life. I did not know if it lasted seconds or minutes or hours. It was like watching a film; seeing everything for a second time with no power to change anything. But if that was how it must be, then I was thankful that when I closed my eyes I was home. 

Because when I closed my eyes, I saw his behind them.