Chapter 2:Hell High

(Unedited)

"With tuppance for paper and strings, you can have your own set of wings! With your feet on the ground, you're a bird in flight, with your first holding tight to the string of your kite! Oh, oh, oh! Let's go fly a kite, up to the highest height! Let's go fly a kite and send it so-" I slammed my hand down on the offending object, shutting the music off and snuggling back into the warmth that I had just come from.

I was succumbing to the darkness when I realized what day it was. I threw myself on the floor and scrambled into my own personal bathroom (which is so awesome) to get ready for the big day. It was finally the first day of my new school and I could not wait!

My parents and I had gotten to the house late the night before last and yesterday I spent all day hiding in my bedroom looking at the spell book I brought with me. I had noticed that it seemed alive when I was reading it yesterday. The book felt like it was breathing and was aware of what was going on around it, but I think it might be my imagination. I also come up a plan for today. I couldn't seem desperate, that was what must have repelled the others. 

As I gazed into my normal reflection in the mirror I told myself that this wasn't a normal day. Today I was going to make history. "You can do this" I told myself. I can do this.  I walked confidently down to the kitchen and froze in the doorway. My mom was in the kitchen, making breakfast. She never, and I mean never, made breakfast. She was always too busy reading contracts or on the phone to talk to anybody before she left the house. But her she was, smiling dressed in jeans and a t-shirt, cooking at what looked like pancakes. I narrowed my eyes as I took a seat at the bar. 

"Hi sweetie! I'm making pancakes! How did you sleep?" She asked with a bright smile. I looked at her then the pancake batter, then her again. Something was happening and I didn't know what. 

"Um, I slept fine. Why are you making breakfast?" I asked baffled by her actions. She frowned at my question and answered. 

"I'm making you breakfast of course! Now, eat up before you're late!"She pushed a plate of pancakes in front of me and started to clean up the kitchen. Looking warily at the pancakes I started to shove them into my mouth and looking at the clock I realized if I didn't go now I was going to be late. 

I leapt away from the stool and grabbed my backpack on the way out. The neighborhood I was in was a stereotypical one where all of the white houses were the same with two lawns in front and a one car garage. Kids aging from toddlers to high schoolers like me were scattered up and down the street walking to school. No one paid me any attention as I walked and watched everyone on the way to school. 

The walk only lasted about ten minutes before I was standing in front of a huge building. A sloping path in between two green stretching lawns reached to an archway that led into the four story brick school. The stone which held the school name was spray painted with red paint. Instead of saying "H. Mellwood High School" it was made to look like "Hell High School" with the "m" and "wood" scratched out. 

Inside was chaotic. Teenagers lounged against red and black lockers, raced up and down the hallways, and clogged up the pathway. Bumping and shoving into people I made my way to the office where it was almost empty. Two offices with closed blinds labeled for the Principal and Vice Principal were shut, one of the two desks with big computers was occupied with an older lady with thick glasses, and a figure sat slouching in a chair by the other desk facing away from me. I stepped up to the desk with the secretary and waited for her to notice me. She was completely focused on the large screen in front of her and kept putting her face closer to look. I cleared my throat to try and get her attention. When that failed I spoke up.