The Boys are Back in Town: Eight

This morning I thought all I wanted to do was skip class and hang out with my best friends, but at that moment all I wanted was a way to get to my first class with my eyes closed.

I twisted my locker open when someone pulled my earphones off, and the familiar noise of Falcon on a Friday morning filled my ears.

"Tell me everything," Julia demanded.

"What?"

"Alek drove you to school," she hissed in my ear. "Everyone is talking about it. Jenna Ambrose's cronies are working overtime right now."

I swallowed. In most contemporary books set in high school, there was always one girl who sat on an ivory throne. In Falcon, that girl was Jenna Ambrose, the high school version of blonde ambition straight out of DVD. She moved to town during my last year of middle school and was the only girl stubborn enough to ignore the silent policy. Admittedly, the fact that she persistently went after Alek bothered me but at the same time, I was envious of her bravery for going after what she wanted.

"I went to their house last night and they came over for breakfast this morning," I explained. "Same as always."

She wrinkled her nose. "Really? Nothing happened?"

I shrugged. "They just got back. What did you expect?"

"So are they coming back here?"

"Only Andre. The other two are basically getting ready for university. Alek is just completing his coursework online."

Julia sighed, looking a little crestfallen. "Bummer that two out three are going to be a no-show."

I smiled and chose no to disagree.

***

Fortunately, I made it through my classes without any incident. I ignored the whispered speculations about my relationship with Alek, and the most embarrassing thing that happened was an incorrect verb conjugation during my French class. I considered myself lucky.

I surveyed the parking lot, relief washing over me when I spotted Alek's car. I resisted the urge to pat my hair down self-consciously as I walked over to him, but my steps stuttered when I saw a shiny blonde head standing in front of him.

Alek broke into a smile when he spotted me.

"Hey, how was your day?" he asked, running a hand through my hair. It was a forward gesture, but one we were both familiar with.

"Fine," I smiled. "Hey, Jenna."

"Hey," she said, glancing from me to Alek. Her expression betrayed nothing.

"All set?" he asked, taking my bag. I nodded and he turned to Jenna. "It was nice to see you again, Jenna."

"See you around," she said, smiling. "Bye, Clair."

In the car, Alek motioned to the backseat, where a basket of muffins sat. "Andre wanted me to give you those."

I reached around and snagged at the top. It was still warm. "Mmm, thanks."

"Good?" he asked, glancing at me. I nodded and held it out to him for a bite. He smiled, his fingers brushing mine as he moved the muffin closer, taking a big bite out of the same spot.

"So," I said, trying to sound as casual as possible. "What did you and Jenna talk about?"

"Nothing, really. She welcomed me back, I commented on the weather," he shrugged.

I made a noncommittal sound and stuffed my mouth with a big bite. I was only a little bit bothered by the fact that they both made a pretty picture standing next to each other.

He motioned for the muffin, and I held it out to him, watching him take another bite. Just like when he touched my hair, it was a familiar action. We always shared everything.

"Alek?"

"Hmm?"

"I missed you." A lot. So much, I thought I was going to die.

He swallowed and pulled over next to a sidewalk. Before I could react, his hand was at the back of my neck, and he was pulling me forward.