Chapter 2

India wasn't always so bad that you wanted to risk your life just to get out of there. It used to be beautiful. Especially in the north. There were incredible buildings, and everything was so amazing and colorful. But that was before the war. Not much is known about the war and life before, aside from the horrors our government tells us to keep us in our place. Education is not exactly allowed in our city, but some people have managed to keep documents and books and the like out of the hands of the guards that come through our homes every once in a while to search.

Those who do know about the war often do not want to talk about it. It was ten times as worse as any war beforehand. It started with North Korea. North Korea had a long-lasting feud with several countries. They eventually got fed up and attacked those countries. This broke out an incredible war across the entire world. Every day innocent people and livestock were slaughtered, crops were destroyed, water sources were tainted, and really, earth was destroyed.

Other countries must have had a bunch of trouble, but I read in my father's old papers that India was a land that enforced brotherhood. So everybody stuck together. Apparently, life went on considerably well for most of India. Then the government began to get more strict.

Rules were set. Mostly rules for our safety if anything like the Great War were to ever happen again, but still strict rules. You were not allowed outside of your home past a certain time. Only the men the government sent could walk the streets at night. The new curfew was only the beginning. Soon, they began to fear for our food rations. They began to limit us to certain amounts of food every month. We were only allowed a meager supply of only the most basic of foods. The new laws angered those who lived in India. So they rebelled.

After the rebellion began, life in India was changed dramatically. Small cities were built to keep better watch over those in it, while incredible amounts of people died fighting for their freedom. We were all forced to walk the deserts for miles until we reached a city. There, they would count us out and force us into small homes. They would only allow a hundred to each city. They would seperate families without blinking an eye.

Then after we had our new home in the middle of this hot desert, we suddenly had nothing left to choose for ourselves. We were told who to marry. We were told how many children we could have. There was only a certain amount of food we could receive every month. Once a week, we had to attend a sort of roll call to check and see that everybody was in the city, and nobody escaped. The rules and laws got a hundred times worse, and suddenly, all of our freedom was gone.

And that's where my story started. My parents were sick of the rules. They didn't want their children to suffer in this horrible city. So they decided we would leave. There are free cities all over the desert, and they were sure we could find one.

They just didn't make it that far.