Apologies

~Kate's Point of View

"Aaron... Come on... Pick up..." I mutter. While listening to his phone ring on this side of the line, I jiggle my foot. I growl, something I very strangely do whenever I can't possibly be patient.

"Hello?" A voice comes on the other end of the line.

"Aaron!"

"Kate! How lovely it is to hear from you! How was your flight?" Aaron has changed over the course of a year. He used to talk like a football player, all dirty jokes, which is why I packed a whole bunch of short clothing items that he would probably get off on, but now it sounds as if I'm talking to an old British guy from the 17th century, but without the accent.

"Um, that's what I wanted to talk to you about." I pause for a second to swallow. "I picked up the wrong suitcase. I don't know where mine is, but all I have right now is guy clothing." I sigh. "I can't make it tonight. I'm really sorry."

There's no sound coming from the other line except for an occaisional breath. "You're sure?"

Am I sure I have the wrong suitcase? Heck yes! I think to myself. Since when did Aaron get stupid and old-fashioned? "Yes," I reply, "I'm sure I have the wrong suitcase and that I can't wear anything to go anywhere. The best I have is..." I rummage through the suitcase. "An oversized white button-up shirt."

"Well, you did come on the flight in clothing, correct?"

"Yes," I say, with a hint of a snotty attitude.

"Why don't you wear that? I'm sure you'll still look beautiful in whatever your common clothing apparel is." That was sort of charming. But not enough.

"Hon, I can't. I really wish I could, but there's no way! I don't have any clothing that I can wear. Some rude jerk tripped me on my way in the hotel and I fell in mud. I can't get it out. Do you know how much I hate uncleanliness? I hate it very much!"

Aaron's quiet again. "How do I even know you came?" His voice takes on a desparate sound. Oh my gosh, he thinks I didn't come. That I didn't fly all this way to see him.

"I'm staying at a hotel. I promise I came." I bite my lip before coming upon a wonderful idea. He could come over to my room! "Aaron. I can prove it to you. Instead of going out to eat, why don't you come to my hotel?"

I can hear him smiling across the line. "Alright, Kate, I'll come. Where are you?"

~

After I hang up, I take a deep breath. I'm seeing Aaron again. After a whole year, I get to be with him again; hug him; kiss him; love him. Now, I have to figure out what I'm going to wear. I figured I would keep it simple and wear some of the guy's clothing, but looking at it closer, there is no way the jeans would fit, and of course, with my luck, he didn't bring a belt. But then I think back on what I said to Aaron just a few minutes before. "The best I have is an oversized white button-up shirt." I pull the shirt off the bed and unbutton it. I slip my arms through the arm holes easily, button it up, and look at myself in the full length mirror on the back of my door. I smile. This will work.

Half an hour later, I hear a knock on my door. I take a deep breath and smooth out the shirt. It's long enough to cover the important parts, and is slightly see-through. I've worn the bra I wore earlier today, because I'd only been wearing it for a few hours, and I kept on my underwear, so there's no risk of flashing Aaron. It's everything I need to get Aaron back. We'll be on the couch together in no time.

I take a look through the peephole and Aaron is standing outside with a bouquet of flowers. Inside, I giggle. It's exactly what he did for our first date. It's even the same flowers, white lilies. I open the door, but poke only my head out. "Hi." I greet him warmly. "Come on in, and we can talk more." I tilt my head back towards the inside of my room and he smiles.