Chocolate Pistachio Cupcakes

They are mostly chocolate with a hint of pistachio, so if you're afraid... don't be! The crushed pistachios on top give some great green color as well as add a nice salty crunch to the cupcake.

Season: Spring

Holiday: St. Patrick's Day

~Ingredients:

-Cupcake:

1 Devil's Food Cake Mix.*

1 Package Instant Pistachio Pudding Mix.

4 Eggs.

2/3 Cup Oil.

1/2 Cup Sour Cream.

3/4 Milk**

-Devil's Food Cake Mix (Dry Ingredients):

2 Cups All Purpose Unbleached Flour.

1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Soda.

3/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder.

3/4 Teaspoon Salt.

2 Cups + 2 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar.

3/4 Cup Non-Alkalized Cocoa Powder (Not Dutch Processed).***

-Chocolate Buttercream:

1 Cup Butter, softened.

1/2 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder.

2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract.

1/4 Cup Milk or Sour Cream.

3-4 Cups Powdered Sugar.

Crushed Pistachios.

~Directions:

Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit and line the cupcake trays with liners.

Step 2: In a medium bowl, sift together the cake mix ingredients. Set aside.

Step 3: In a large bowl, combine the pudding mix, eggs, oil, sour cream and milk until smooth.

Step 4Stir in the cake mix.

Step 5Fill the cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Step 6Cool the cupcakes completely before frosting.

Step 7: Making the Chocolate Buttercream: Beat the butter for 2 minutes. Add cocoa powder, vanilla extract and milk and beat again. 

Step 8Slowly add in the powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency.

Step 9: Pipe onto the cooled cupcakes and top with crushed pistachios.

Step 10: Eat and enjoy!

~Recipe Notes:

~Recipe Notes:

*You can use a plain chocolate cake mix instead of the Devil's Food Cake Mix.

**You can use buttermilk instead of regular milk.

***Non-Alkalized Cocoa Powder is pure roasted cocoa powder with most of the fat removed ground to a fine powder. With all of the flavor but a fraction of the fat.

Enjoy!

Please leave us a picture in the comments below if you make it or have any questions!

XoXo Hannah and Hailey