Chapter Five

Going home to an empty house really didn’t hold much appeal. 

As Nathan made a right turn on Grace Street, his headlights barely made a dent against the darkened road. It was as if a black shroud enveloped the street. He cranked his neck to look up at the old fashioned street lamps that normally illuminated the dozen or so aged Victorian houses.

They were all burned out. 

Even his porch light was dark. Nathan glanced at the clock on his console. The timer wouldn’t have gone off yet. He kept his porch light on till midnight. 

He pulled into his driveway and killed the ignition. His neglected home didn’t hold the warm feelings it once did. There was no laughter, no light in this building. What once was a home was now a house and Nathan hated it. 

He blamed God.

Nathan dragged his weary body out of the truck. 

“It’s about time you dragged your sorry ass home.” 

Nathan’s blood stirred at the sound of the husky yet very sexy voice. He straightened before searching for the voice. The sharp squeak of the porch swing had him twisting his head before he caught sight of the one woman who tempted him to sin with every thought.

“How long have you been waiting?” He crossed the yard and bounded up the stairs. Suddenly he didn’t feel as tired. The sight of her took his breath away every time. He’d never met another woman like her. 

“All my life darlin,” Eva winked as she scooted down the seat leaving room for Nathan to join her. She wore her signature black leather jacket with a red scarf wrapped around her slender neck. Her black hair was pulled up into a ponytail and swung to the gentle rocking of the swing.

“You say that every time,” Nathan struggled not to jump when his leg hit hers. He casually readjusted himself so that only an inch separated them on the swing. 

This woman made his blood boil in more ways than one. She was the bane of his existence yet he needed her like he needed air to breathe, and it bothered him. Not even Sue had affected him this way.

“Maybe one day you’ll realize I’m telling you the truth,” Eva whispered before she bent down, reached between her legs and pulled out a brown paper bag. “Here, I got this for you.” She held it out.

Nathan shook his head. “I don’t drink. You know that.” 

Shoving the bag into his hands, Eva swore. “It’s not alcohol you jerk.” She pushed herself to her feet and stormed off his porch.  

The sudden burst of anger surprised him. Going after her would do no good, so Nathan held the bag in his hands and just watched her leave. The tight jeans she wore hid little, and he’d be a liar to say he minded. She jumped onto her motorcycle, pulled her helmet over her head and drove away, the squeal of the tires loud in the night air. He glanced at his watch. She’d be back. 

She always came back.

Nathan sighed, sank back against the wood supporting his back and glanced at the bag in his hands. Some days he didn’t understand that woman. She’d shown up in town a little over a year ago, standing out in her black leather pants, jacket and boots. The first time he’d seen her was at the cemetery. The second was when he stood at the edge of the cliff  far from town and looked down at the crystal clear waters of Redemption Lake wondering why he shouldn’t jump.

If it hadn’t been for the sound of her motorcycle down a forgotten dirt road, he would have.

Ever since then she’d always been there for him. At his darkest moments. When he felt most alone. Or troubled.