0|1 : A Looming Nightmare

"Red eyes glower in the blighted dark of the forest. Slowly, the villagers realize the danger. And then... the nightmare strikes."

The sound of the horn resounded through the air for all in the small village to hear. Following it, everything changed.

"I'll never forgive this"

I'll change it. I won't let darkness appear in their hearts. No matter the cost. No matter the pain. Even at the cost of my life, I'll protect them with all I've got.

~^•*•*•*•*•^•^•*•^•^•*•*•*•*•^~
- Forbidden Forest -

The breeze blew lightly ruffling my silvery white bangs slightly revealing my teal blue-ish green eyes. My eyes scanning the dark trees around me, as I took in the strange new surroundings. Weirdly enough I felt more at home here than in my own village.

I turned my attention to my friend, Lilia, smiling as she waved at me. Seeing us looking around she yelled, "Hey you two! Over here!"

Her maroon brown hair ruffling like mine in the breeze. Her pretty green eyes sparkling with excitement. Having known the girl since I was brought into the village two years ago we were very close and I would do anything for her.

The red-haired boy next to me was Cheval. He was the first kid I met in the village when Dan brought me here and I actually stayed with them for a while until the chief said I could have my own house. His beautiful lemon yellow eyes flashed with a bit of worry and fear as he frowned looking at Lilia. "Lilia... You know we're not supposed to be here..."

Lilia paid no mind to his words engulfed in the adventurous atmosphere, making me release a small chuckle. Looking around Lilia paused before saying her thoughts aloud, "I'm sure it was around here! I found a monster egg!"

My eyes sparkled at the mention of a monster egg. I had always loved looking at the beautiful eggs in the village my love for each and every monster that came from them making many find me weird. Lilia noticing my face stopped looking around, smiling at me as she suddenly stared at us seriously as she said, "You two do want to see a monster egg, right?"

The next moment she smiled. I, of course, answered happily with a "Yep!". Cheval, however, didn't answering unsurely while looking around, "I guess..."

Lilia took the chance to scare him as he looked away. Yelling, "BOO!", she made him jump. But then she continued to taunt him while I giggled, "Are you a chicken, Cheval? Scared of the spooooooky monsters in the big bad forest?"

Cheval being well... himself fell for it and glared at her but then he blushed and stared at me. A determined look in his eyes, "N-no! I'm not afraid! I-I'm gonna be a Rider next year, and Riders aren't chickens!" Pausing to catch his breath, he continued, "So no way I'd be afraid..."

As he finished, however, a small flock of birds flew out from the trees spooking him sending him falling on his butt. Lilia burst out laughing while she picked on him a bit more, "You jumped higher than a Kecha Wacha! Definitely still a scaredy Gargwa!"

Cheval still sitting on the ground, whined hearing her rude but true remark, "Meanie! I-I just flinched. You're always teasing me!"

I watched as he started to get up but then I noticed him pause and I heard him mumble, "Huh! What's this?"

When I focused where he was looking I noticed that part of the grass near him was purple. There next to him was a medical herb, I would normally grab them to sell and earn a bit of money but this one was strange.