Part 1

Author's note:  I never meant to write this story. It started out as an exercise to help me work through a "stuck" point on one of my other projects (Inappropriate, which will likely be posted later). My characters were not cooperating so I decided to take a break from them and try outlining a simple idea using characters that had already been developed. I'd just finished season two of Good Morning Call, and decided that Nao and Hisashi would be good guinea pigs for my little experiment. Initially there was no dialogue, just a few notes on what I thought happened after the end of season two. Then suddenly Hana appeared, and Hisashi was being snarky, and Takuya was giving advice, and a concept turned into a story!  Please keep in mind I know very little about Japanese culture, and even less about the language, so I'm sure there will be a few errors.  I welcome any kind corrections.

                                                                ~     ~     ~     ~     ~

Hisashi and Nao, now 20 years old, have moved back into their first apartment according to Hisashi's agreement with the landlady.  Takuya and Yuri, Hisahi's brother and sister-in-law, have returned from Sydney with their daughter Hana, now two and a half years old.  Little Hana is visiting Nao for the afternoon.

Uehara Hisashi leaned against the wall of the elevator and pressed the button for the third floor. It was nearly 6:00 in the evening and he was exhausted after a long day of working in the laboratory. He'd be so glad when he graduated university. After so many years of working and attending school, having only a job to worry about would be like a vacation. At least he was able to cut his hours back a little now that he and Yoshikawa were sharing an apartment again.

When the elevator doors opened, he headed for the door marked 305. His stomach growled and he wondered if Yoshikawa had made something for dinner. He would eat instant ramen if he had to, but he'd much rather have her cooking. He knew he'd practically starve without her. He used his key to open the door and the smell of something delicious reached him. Smiling at the thought of a homemade meal, he quickly took off his shoes in the entry and went into the main room.

Yoshikawa Nao, having heard the main door open, was waiting for him. "Welcome home, Uehara-kun. Are you hungry?"

"I'm starving. Is there food rea-"

"'Sashi-koo!" A little girl's voice interrupted his thought as the tiny body that went with it came barrelling out of Yoshikawa's bedroom toward him and threw her arms around his legs.

Uehara picked up his niece and swung her in the air briefly before perching her on his arm. "Hana-chan? What are you doing here? And what did you call me?"

"Mommy and Daddy's truck broke, so I get to play with Nao-chan!"

He looked to Yoshikawa to clarify what the toddler had said. She had that anxious look she got when she was afraid that he wouldn't like what she had to say.

"Your brother and Yuri were moving into their new house today and I said I'd watch Hana so they could get things set up. They were supposed to be done this afternoon but the moving truck got a flat tire and put them behind. Takuya-san said he'd come get her as soon as they had the furniture unloaded. I hope you don't mind."

"It's fine," he told her. He'd been looking forward to a relaxing evening with Yoshikawa, but he was glad to see Hana. At two and a half years old, she already had him wrapped around her little finger, not that he'd ever admit it. "What was that other thing she said?"

"She's trying to call you Hisashi-kun, like Takuya-san and Yuri do."

He had to laugh at that. Inwardly, though, he was thinking about how much he liked hearing her say his first name. She didn't use it often, and he never used hers. There would be a time for that - one day. For now, they would continue to address each other appropriately, by their family names. He looked down at his niece still in his arms. "We'll work on your pronunciation later. Right now, why don't you go pick up whatever you were playing with in Yoshikawa's room?"

"Okay!" She wiggled to be put down so Hisashi set her on her feet and she scampered back to the bedroom.

Once Hana was out of the room, Yoshikawa returned to the kitchen and lifted the lid on a pot to stir the contents. "I'm sorry about this," she said. "I really thought she'd be home before you finished work. I know you're tired when you come home..."

Uehara went to stand beside her and put a hand on her back. "Shh. I said it's okay. Hana is my niece-she is always welcome in our home. Probably more so than Takuya and Yuri."   Yoshikawa smiled up at him. She spooned up some stew and offered him a taste. "That's really good," he complemented. "I'll go set the table."

~~~I know this is rather short.  I have about five more pages written already, which I'll post once they're edited.  After that I'm not sure where the story will go.  Let me know what y'all think.  -KJ