Hidden secrets and running dogs

"Dawson seems very sad today," I stated while walking threw the door. Sam gave a nod, showing he agreed. Although everyone was upset due to the dead child, Dawson seemed to be even more effected.

Minutes later, when I was prepared for bed, the lights off, he quietly came into our room. "Heya bro,"

Dawson jumped, apparently he thought we were asleep. He gave a small wave and went up to our sink. He grabbed something and plopped the thing in his hand down on the counter.

I creeped my way over, and saw a medium sized pill jar sitting beside the sink as he held something firmly in one hand. "Um, what's that?"

I had a pretty good idea what it was. But his answer made my heart sink. "It's..." He couldn't bring himself to say it, because he just handed me the pill jar.

"Antidepressants? Dawson, when did this happen?" He looked down, as if it was something to be ashamed of. It wasn't his fault, but how did I not notice?

"He's had them since almost two years now." Sam said quietly, knowing now wasn't the time for his playful behavior.

Dawson had always put others before himself, so I never noticed the depression. No wonder he seemed so upset today, he probably hadn't taken any pills in a while.

Dawson let out a frustrated sigh and put the pill back into the jar. Mumbling a faint, "I'm fine."

Sam and I shared a doubtful look, before we all went to our beds. How many people know? Was I the only one who didn't? With what felt like a million questions, I drifted to sleep.

"Up and at 'em!" Sam exclaimed, throwing his pillow into my face.

"Are you kidding me?" I groaned, rolling on to my stomach in the process.

"Unfortunately, he's not. We got an urgent call from Cheif. She wants all runners in the tarining deck outside before anyone gets up." Dawson explained further.

"Great." I'm being sarcastic, in case you couldn't tell. The first ones up huh? Lucky us.

After putting on our training gear, we made our way to the outside training deck. It was just a larger patch of grass surrounded by wired fencing.

In the middle of the training deck, Cheif stood with Kane by her side. He looked alert, his ears up and tail slowly moving back and forth.

"K9 could prove useful, a trusted member of this base. But before that, he must be tamed. You 6 will help me if things get out of hand." Cheif held a finger out for Kane to see, and he sat hesitantly. "As you can see, I have been training him since hours before Dawn. I am also debating him joining on the odd runners mission. Another reason for your being here."

Everything she just said makes sense. Having  a dog, a German Shepherd at that, on our side could prove useful. Not to mention some guards could be relieved of their duty while Kane watches over Cheif.

"K9 has learned to sit, stand, lay down, come, and stay this morning. By sunset he will know how to roll, sneak, attack, and be alert." Cheif put her hand out flat with her palm up, showing five of her ten marks. Kane stood, ready for another command.

After hours of training, it became lunch and due to the lack of breakfast, our stmachs were longing for food. And we were not disappointed.

"I can't remember the last time we had sandwiches." Carter smiled as he took a large bite out of his meal.

It wasn't anything fancy, just lettuce, cheese, and mayo. Honestly, I thought it tasted nothing better than usual.

So far, Kane had leanerd to roll and sneak. To be honest, the dog has skill. Not to mention sharp teeth.

"So, what do you guys think it'll be like having Kane on our team?" I asked, taking another bite of my sandwich.

"Definitely helpful, that's for sure." Blaine stood and took his plate over to the bin of other used plates.

"Missions will be faster, so there's that."

After all of our debating, even though it wasn't our choice, we ran back out to the training deck.

"Adding to your daily training, you 6 will join K9 and I every morning before breakfast to run. We will be running 3 kilometers."

3 kilometers? She's got to be kidding. Right when we wake up? I can barely get out of bed on time for breakfast let alone before it!

"We will start now." Cheif started to run forward, and we followed, Kane beside Cheif.

At first it was ok, the breeze going passed my face and the ground moving steadily under my feet. But after about 2 kilometers, my legs started to burn. It seemed as though Kane was slowing down as well.

When we finally hit the 3 kilometer mark, I placed my hands on my knees and let out a pant. My mouth was uncomfortably dry, and water seemed most appealing at the moment.

My relief of it being over was drowned out by the fact that I have to do this again tomorrow morning. I groaned of dread came from my mouth as I rubbed the sweat from my forehead.

"Perhaps that will be all. I will train K9 myself, you all have schedules to attend to." She turned, and walked back to the training deck. No one protested, but we stayed in place for a while.

Eventually the need for water got to much, and we made our way inside. We each downed a bottle each, we were so thirsty.

Unfortunately, Cheif was right and we had schedules to get to. Next on mine was training, and I scoffed. As if I hadn't trained enough.

The gym filled with people, and we were told that we had to play the clothes pin game.

Each person clips three clothes pins to the back of thier shirts, and you have to steal everyone else's clothes pins. When you run out, you're out, and the last person standing wins.