s e v e n t e e n

Night has fallen. The group sits around a campfire eating some squirrel that dad killed. Carl and I lay on a blanket close to Lori. Dad is keeping watch on top of an overturned bus while Rick walks around the perimeter of the fence for what seems like the hundredth time.

"Mmm, just like mom used to make." Glenn says sarcastically before throwing a squirrel bone off into the distance.

"Tomorrow we'll put all the bodies together." T-dog speaks up. "Want to keep them away from that water. Now if we can dig a canal under the fence we'll have plenty of fresh water." 

It doesn't take long for me to finish my food and I suck on the bone to get any leftover meat. Looking over at Carl, he still has most of his left. Seems like he's savoring it.

"And this soil is good." Hershel tells us. I suppose he kind of is a soil expert having owned a farm. "We could plant some seed, grow some tomatoes, cucumbers, soybeans. That's his third time around. If there was any part of it that was compromised, he'd have found it by now."

He's talking about Rick. I can understand why he hasn't relaxed just yet. Being out on the road for months with no real shelter makes this place seem too good to be true.

"This'll be a good place to have the baby." Beth tells Lori with a small smile. 

I peer over to my dad as he walks back and forth along the bus looking for any signs of danger. Carol went to go give him food and I thank her for that. I don't think I could make it over to the bus. The two come back over together and dad sits next to me. I move closer to him and put my head on his legs using him as a pillow.

He doesn't say anything but instead brushes my hair back like he always does. I don't care though, it's one of my favorite things and it's relaxing. Hershel asks Beth to sing and with a little reluctance she does. Soon Maggie joins her sister. My eyes grow heavy and I fall asleep in a place thats safe.

___

The next morning I'm awaken by dad shaking my shoulder lightly. I use my arm to shield my eyes from the sun and sit up slowly. At some point in the night I rolled onto the grass and now I'm covered in marks as I scratch my neck. 

"You gonna be okay?" He asks me and I nod.

"I think I just needed a good nights rest." I say grabbing his hand as he helps me up. It's true, that must've been the longest I've slept in ages. 

"We're clearing out the court yard today." He says leading me to where the rest of the group stands waiting. I guess I was the last one to wake up, should I feel bad? "You're going to stick by Hershel okay?"

"Okay." I say giving him a hug before Rick nods at him before unclipping the gate and slipping through.  

Immediately the group consisting of my dad, Rick, Glenn, Maggie, and T-dog is approached by walkers. The rest of us draw them towards the fences so that the group doesn't all get swarmed. 

"Come on!" I yell shaking the fence. "Come over here!"

When a walker gets close enough I stick a spare bolt into it's brain and it falls dead onto the ground. Through the fence I watch as the group kills a majority of walkers before realizing there's an open gate with close to thirty of the dead. On top of that, two walkers in riot gear come out of no where. Dad fires a bolt at on of them but it's no use, it can't pierce through the helmet. Then, they're out of my sight.

"Daryl!" Rick yells. My heart drops, why did Rick yell dad's name? Did he get bit? Maybe I'm overthinking all of this. My worries are diminished as dad comes running through the courtyard. They did it! It's practically cleared.