chapter seven

The next day, I woke up before anyone else and laid in bed for a while, before walking over to my bedroom window. Gazing out towards the sea, I could see my ship slowly bobbing on the water. The sun was just beginning to rise. The orange and pink blending seamlessly into the night sky brought me a sense of peace. This was the calm before the storm. Soon I'll be out there, a sword in hand, fighting men and taking ships.

I slowly looked away and let out a sigh. Walking over to my vanity, I pulled off my night gown and analyzed my body in the mirror. Tilting my head to the side, I turned slightly to get a view of how I looked from the side. I had a fairly good relationship with my body. I didn't absolutely love it, but I definitely didn't hate it. My figure was that of an hourglass shape. My bust and hips are quite large, but my stomach is smaller. It's not skinny, I do have a little tummy, after all I do enjoy my rum. My figure is something I like about myself, but the thing I don't like is what litters it. Scars display across my entire body. Most are from petty brawls, but some are from full-on combat. The most prominent scar is one running from above my left hip to the centre of my spine. The Royal Navy had attacked my father's ship and, while I was busy fighting off a couple men, someone snuck up behind me and slashed my side. I was bedridden for a couple months. Father wouldn't let me out of my chambers, until he was sure that I was okay. I was in excruciating pain the whole time, especially in the beginning. I thought for sure that my time had come, but I pushed myself to stay alive. Luckily, most of my scars are conveniently hidden beneath my clothes, so no one really notices them. I also have some tattoos painted on my skin. There's a rose piece covering my back and I have some swallows on my collarbones. After staring at myself for some time, I decide to get dressed into my everyday attire. My usual white shoulder-less top, black leather pants, a tightly laced corset, and my tall boots. This time I also add my new black weapon holster and slip my knife into it.

I walk by Lily and Tommy's room and slowly put my ear on the door. I can quietly hear their soft snores, so instead of waking them, I make my way downstairs. For about an hour, I sit on the deck and just think. I wonder how Nassau could be such a beautiful place, but at the same time be extremely disgusting. Early in the morning, when everyone's passed out drunk and there's no shouting and arguing, that's when it's the most peaceful. No one to ruin the moment. Once the sun fully rises and the people start making their way over to the tavern, I make my way back inside. I walk over to the kitchen and make a small breakfast for all of us to enjoy. When it's finished, I quietly go up to their room to wake them. After a bit of persuasion, they finally agreed to come downstairs. I ended up staying for about half an hour before I had to say my goodbyes. They shed tears when we hugged and they both made me promise to stay safe. I told them that I would try my best and then I left.

Before making my way to the ship, I had to stop at the tavern. When I arrived I saw Anne walking over to a table, holding two mugs. The two men didn't seem like they would cause any trouble, so I made my way over to her.

"I thought ye were leaving, Ez."

"Not before saying goodbye to my favourite barmaid." I say with a smirk.

She smiles back at me and says, "I'm going to miss ye."

"I'll be back before ye know it, Lass." I quickly assure her. "You won't even notice me gone."

She gives me a sad smile, before reaching out to hug me. I think Nassau is the place where I get the most hugs. I'll go a year or two, out at sea, and won't receive a single hug, but when I come here it's like they're non-stop. As she pulls away, I remember my gift for her. I pull out the weapon holster and hand it to her. "I know sometimes people here can get pretty handsy, so here ye go." Once she realizes what it is, she grabs my hand and brings me into the bar shack. She closes the door and pulls up the bottom part of her dress to slip her gift on. She looks up and gives me a big smile and, in return, I give her one too.