Chapter 3 (2021 Rewrite)

"Blaze and Ember Feuer, I believe it is time to get you both situated in the dorms," a voice announces loudly.

"Give me a few more minutes," I mumble as I slightly reposition myself against the wall of Kal's office. Why doesn't Dad ever give me break?

"Ms. Feuer, if you wish to sleep, you may do so in your dorm." The voice is closer, and I quickly snap out of my sleeping spell and see Professor Kal standing in front of me. He pushes his grey curls away from his face and extends his hand toward me. I gladly take it because I don't think I'd be able to get up on my own as the weight and anxiety of whatever's going on begins to sink in.

As much as I used to hate it, I wish it was my dad waking me up from when I pass out on the couch and he wants to watch dad shows. Blaze sits up with a groan and I take a step toward him. Tears pool in my eyes but I quickly wipe them away with a sigh of relief.

"How are you feeling, Mr. Feuer?" Kal walks over to Blaze and examines him, "I know you were only able to rest for less than an hour, but I assure you," he glances back at me, "both, that you will have a better recovery in your own rooms. Your roommates will take care of you and help you out while you get settled in."

"Thank you, Professor Kal," Blaze leans himself against the wall, grimacing as his back presses against it.

"I have a shirt here for you," Kal looks back in the doorway and Jackson walks in with a crisp white shirt, "I hope the sizing is correct."

"Thanks," Blaze takes the shirt from Jackson's extended hand and puts it on.

"With the time difference, it is just past 11:30am, so you may not want to sleep long to adjust to the time. The male dormitories are on the right and the female dormitories are on the left once you take the west path at the archway of the dormitories entrance. Do you think you can find your way there? I have an assembly to arrange." Kal asks quickly. He makes his way for the door but pauses, "actually, I believe Jackson can show you the way." Then he disappears.

***

Jackson, Blaze, and I walk silently through the campus, Jackson just a few steps ahead at an unsteady pace. He breaks the silence as we follow the paved paths toward the dorms, without looking at us he says, "uh, are you guys hungry? There's a food court here, it's really cool, it's got everything."

"I could eat," Blaze shrugs and my stomach squeezes at the thought of food.

"Okay, I can take you guys there and the signs are pretty straightforward to follow, but I think I'm just going to go straight to my room."

"Sure, I hope you're doing okay." Blaze pats Jackson's shoulder and gives me a concerned look.

"Yeah, we can find our way, don't worry about it," I say and shoot Blaze a what am I supposed to do about it? look and he rolls his eyes.

We backtrack a little ways to follow the food court signs. It's like walking in a forest mostly, it's all grassy and green except for scattered buildings. The signs are just wooden arrows like you'd find by old and worn paths. We walk in silence toward the food court, following the signs along the way. I'm amazed at what this academy has; I mean seriously, the signs have arrows pointing to the Shopping District, Arcade, Cinema, and even an Aquarium!

"This place is a lot more than I expected it to be!" Blaze gasps, pointing to the arrow saying Relaxation Centre.

"Yeah, I have to admit it's pretty cool. Like a small, hidden town." I smile and nudge Blaze, but when he doesn't smile back I ask, "What's with this sudden change of attitude?"