Chapter Twenty

Present

A/N: If you haven't seen season three yet and don't know how Sherlock survived then I suggest you look it up. This chapter will go into it.

Molly turned on the telly and settled down with Toby. She flipped to the news quickly, wanting to just catch up on anything important that may have happened. She set her glass of wine down slowly, listening to the report of the crime of the century. James Moriarty had attempted to steal the Crown Jewels only to simply... sit down and wait. He'd left the questionable message right before the crime: Get Sherlock.

Molly sat back. Her chest felt tight, her heart was pounding. Jim. Moriarty. Moriarty was back and he was at it again and oh god what did he want?

She grabbed her phone, dialing Sherlock immediately. There was no answer. She waited for the beep.

"Sherlock, listen! I know you already know about Moriarty but tell me what's going on. S-should I keep an eye out? Can I do anything? Anything, just let me help." She hung up, shaking her head and regretting the call immediately.

Days later, she watched with bated breath for the jury's decision. The newspapers and internet were pulsing. Not guilty. No defense, nothing but clean evidence and they found him not guilty.

Oh god...

***

Two months later.

She shrugged into her coat, heading for the door when it was pulled open.

"Molly."

She looked up as Sherlock turned her around and started pulling her after him. "Oh hello. I was just going out."

"No you weren't."

I-I've got a lunch date?"

"Cancel it. You're having lunch with me."

"What?" She felt her hopes dashed to pieces as he pulled out two bags of crisps.

"Need your help. One of your old boyfriends. We're trying to track him down. He's been a bit naughty." He smiled at John.

"Moriarty?" The doctor asked.

"'Course it's Moriarty."

Molly shook her head. "Um, Jim wasn't actually even my boyfriend. We went out three times. I ended it." At least that's how she comforted herself on the matter.

"Yes, and then he stole the Crown Jewels, broke into the Bank of England, and organized a prison break at Pentonville. For the sake of law and order I suggest you avoid all future attempts at a relationship, Molly." He smirked and held up the bag of crisps before heading into the lab.

A few minutes later and he sent Molly out for some files and books. She returned, struggling with the pile as neither of the boys offered to help. Sherlock spoke. "Oil, John. The oil in the kidnappers footprint." He dropped a sample into a test tube. "It'll lead us to Moriarty. All the chemical traces on his shoe have been preserved. The sole of the shoe is like a passport. If we're lucky we can see everything he's been up to.

They worked for hours in relative silence, broken only by occasional command from Sherlock and the fizz of chemicals or clink of glass equipment.

"Alkaline." Molly muttered, making a note.

"Thank you, John." Sherlock didn't look up.

Molly sighed, feeling invisible. "Molly."

A pause. "Yes."

She was testing a pH level when she heard him whisper to himself. "I.O.U." He turned to his notes, frowning. So far they had identified four substances. Chalk, asphalt, vegetation, and brick dust. "And this raw molecule..." He sighed. "What are you?"