Chapter 11 ~Luke

I don't think I've hated anyone nearly as much as I hate this girl they call Rose. I hate her probably about as much as I hate the Capitol & that is saying something. She is at the top of my kill list for the Games so far. The Games are coming soon, & I'm going to make sure she's one of my kills. I don't care how hard it is to do. She needs to die by my hand.

Today at training, I basically spent the day going around practicing combat skills alone. Ivey blew me off this morning, & I'm not about to go talk to another tribute. Making friends isn't my thing, especially when it's someone I'm going to have to kill in a matter of days. But in a way, being alone is a good thing. I needed some time to perfect my spear throwing anyway. Back during the Dark Days in 13, my parents taught me how to defend myself with a spear & hoped I'd join the cause. Well, we lost before I had a chance to join the rebel army so yeah. I haven't thrown a spear in years. I have to admit though, I'm not bad for a guy who hasn't thrown in years. I can still hit deadly places like the head or kidney. I even can hit the heart at times. Another good thing about throwing spears alone today is that I can get my anger out on it. I'm still mad about this morning. Every throw makes me feel better. Ah, what a stress reliever. I should've done this more often back home.

I'm afraid my presence in the combat stations this morning has drawn unwanted attention from the Careers. They're the people I least want to hang out with. Those cocky little gits.... Anyway, they seem to be a little impressed by my throw. A few of them come over & try to talk with me. I, being me, try to make them go away by being blunt. It only seems to egg them on though because I was asked to join their alliance after lunch. All I do is laugh in their faces.

"Ha, ha. Yeah, like I'd ever join an alliance with you!" I say still laughing hysterically. I think I offended a couple of them which fills me with satisfaction. Looks like my work here is done. That's when she shows up.

"I could have told you he'd say no. Besides, why would you want him? He comes from an outline district. He isn't the strongest, & his skills are only mediocre. Plus, he can't be trusted," I hear the voice of Rose Oakwood blare out from behind the District 2 girl named Lily Pokeweed. I found that out from out earlier conversations. I walk around Lily to face Rose with her arms folded across her chest.

"Ah ha, and uh, who asked you to join the conversation sweetheart?" I slur mockingly.

"I was here the whole time for your information," she snaps, "I just didn't want the group to take on someone like you who can't be trusted & who isn't worthy. And don't call me that!"

"Who says I'm not worthy?" I ask, "everyone else seems to think I'm a good specimen. Everyone but you. Maybe you don't want me in the group because you're jealous. Or are you scared of me?"

"I'm not scared or jealous of you!" she retorts, "you're not as formidable as you may think you are. Don't get too big for yourself! It will only drag you down further than you already are."

"Are you calling me weak?" I ask, my voice rising in anger, "because I can assure you I'm a lot stronger than you missy! Apparently, you haven't looked at yourself in the mirror lately!"

"At least I have skill!" she says, her voice rising as well, "you on the other hand will not last a minute in the Games! You'll be dead before you knew what hit you."

"What, like you! You will be dead before you know it! You know why? Because no one cares what you think! You think you're so much better than everyone else, but you're really not. Is this some kind of joke? To make yourself look big so others will accept you? Is this how you try to fit in because it's not working. I see who you really are. You're nothing but a loser who can't fit in anywhere else, so you try to make yourself look tough so people will accept you. In reality, you're just an ugly whore who doesn't fit in anywhere! You're all talk but no bite," I yell letting all my anger toward her pour out of me. I can see by the look on her face I cut deep & it makes me smile. I smirk maliciously at my work & then say, "Ha, it looks like I was right."

As if on cue, Rose rips a knife from the nearby knife rack & poises to fight. Her eyes flash with anger while she says, "So, you think I'm all a fake eh? You think you're better than me, & you know my life. Well, it looks like we're about to find out. You messed with the wrong girl." And before I can comprehend what is going on, she's on top of me trying to drive the knife into my throat. I hear screaming in my ear from I don't know where. I duck my head out of the way & begin to fight back. I grab her around the middle with one arm, the other still holding the knife back, & throw her off of me into a nearby cart of spears. She's up in an instant & throwing herself at me when I see a figure cross our paths. The blonde hair flies across my face, & I know exactly who's in front of me about to take the blow. She was the one screaming before: Ivey.

I push Ivey out of the way just as the knife was about to sink into her. She crashes into another spear rack & falls to the floor. Rose smashes into me with a smack, & right as Rose's blade is to go into my heart, we're seized up by peacekeepers. Rose is grabbed out of thin air & dragged away still thrashing. I'm grabbed from behind & pinned to the ground. I can still hear Rose screaming death threats at me as she is dragged away.

"I'll get you Luke Dallas! You just wait! You'll be the first one I get in the arena! You better watch your back!"

"Everyone back to work!" I hear D'être yell a second later. That's when I'm yanked upward by my subduer, & he frees me.

"You keep your hands to yourself!" he yells to my face before he takes out his pistol & slaps me across the cheek with it. A jet of pain shoots though my face as I kneel over to the ground. It felt like getting hit in the face with a baseball bat. I feel like my cheek is going to fall off!

"Ye-yes sir," I stammer out rubbing my face in pain. It wasn't me who did the damn thing, but I don't think arguing would be a good idea. I don't want to get hit again.

I look over at Ivey. She's sitting up now but has a nasty bruise on her forehead. I kind of feel bad, but I did save her life. She's staring at me with eyes reflecting great surprise & fear mixed together.

"Are you okay?" I ask apologetically. Yes, I do feel bad.

"Yeah, I'm fine," she says, "just a bit faised. You?"

"Yeah, my face just hurts like crap," I say trying to smile, but it hurts to much. Ivey gives me a concerned look.

"Are you sure?" she asks, "that looked really painful."

"It was, but I'll be fine," I say, "I'll live. Just a nasty bruise." She smiles back at me, & then drops it.

"I-uh I better go...." she stutters awkwardly, "I'll see you tonight okay."

"Yeah sure, see you tonight," I reply as she gets up & leaves. There it is again. She blew me off again. Well, I guess I should expect it. We are getting awfully close to the Games. These kinds of things happen at this point. We will grow apart until we have to kill each other. It's really sad honestly. I don't want to lose my sister. I get up slowly & walk over to the sword fighting section. I mine as well do something useful with my remaining time & learn something new. I pull a sword from it sheath & pose to attack some dummies. Shine & Bruce are going to kill me. It's going to be a long night.