Prologue

You would think that events like these only happen in books, in parallel worlds, in science fiction, well this story is none of the above, it's a pure narration of how it happened. On the "day of ends and beginnings" or DEB for short, something happened that changed the world as you know it into the world we now know. No one is perfectly sure how it is even possible but things truly changed on all scales. Be it the smallest parts inside atoms to then entire earth and maybe solar system, things changed; but the most changes happened on living organisms. How about a little explanation on this situation, a few details before I actually start telling my story.

On DEB, a very sensitive project was being worked on in the large particle accelerator under des Alps. They were doing a collision of two carbon atoms to study their fusion. The problem is, even after following all the adequate protocols, a bacteria managed to be present at the point of fusion. This had never happened before and should not have been possible in the first place. No one can explain what this did but a shockwave, emitted from there, coursed the entire planet surface and all all frequencies too. Radios went haywire for a few minutes, televisions went blank or snow, clocks missed a few minutes and so on. Obviously, the moment the medias got ahold of this, it made world news and there were many excuses made but nothing could explain what happened. Things changed in ways that science was at a loss to explain, strange animals were born from normal parents, blood types changed, people can now do magic.

The strangest thing, other than the fact that magic is real, is that it is broken. How can you even break the impossible you would ask, well we are all asking that very same question wondering why it happened and how. The only possible lead we have is a student in university presenting the different forms of magic for a paper. He had made a hickory wood wand and brought a "spell" in ancient Celtic. He was waving his wand, saying the words and doing strange hand shapes with his other hand all at the same time when the tremor went past. His wand gave off sparks, his words shaped them and his hands held them, a spiral of flame floating above his hand. It lasted a minute and then vanished and that moment was when magic broke.

This brings me to our current time, half a month into the second semester or the french university year, in January. We are currently waiting for the United Nations to decide what they are going to call the people, like me, who have magic. They are going for MATs, magically afflicted teens, but I'm 20 and yet I was hit by it too. The reason why they are stating teens is because no person over 24 has been reported to have any form of magic. No one knows how it works, how to learn or teach it, how to control it other than crude power so we are al trying and have online forums where we share our discoveries. For the moment we have come to a general agreement about a few things. There are three types of magic, three clans as we call them; the wand clan, hand clan and word clan. It would seem that no one can be in more than one of these so interaction between them is kept to a minimum. Obviously some people have multiple accounts but they are making the security harder and harder to get past so I'm limiting myself to word and hand magic for now. We have no actual learning place but one thing is for sure, no government wants to help us learn. We are already having to get special "Magus" cards stating that we have magic and what we can do with it. There are many different names and stuff, they try to make it look all official but actually they have no idea what they are doing either.

It's supposed to be a protection and lawful system to control any outbreaks of magic that may happen; we all see it as bagging and tagging. Not a single one of us likes the idea of being on governmental record just for existing. The next step after this could only be a form of segregation, that is our main worry and clearly it's not unfounded seeing that quite a few countries are doing it. There have even been exiles and so on and so forth, no respect for the minority of people we represent. I mean there are only a few hundred thousand of us world wide and at that many of the reported cases seem to be freak events or fake news. Anyway, enough of that listing of details, it's time to get to the actual current events and what all is happening...