TWENTY-ONE

The red-brick building loomed before me, taunting me with the white letters that spelled out 'Millton High School'. I had never been to one of these places before, but the notion of them sounded like a dreamland. It was a place where many people got together and learned different subjects. From what I learned, humans found it mainstream to loathe this place and all it stands for. I hoped that my Extant didn't fall under this, because opportunity was written all over this place.

I adjusted my jacket, thinking of Lord Ebony, my mother. This jacket was the only thing she had ever given me lovingly. Other than that, it was mostly swordsmanship lessons and such. Everyone seemed to see me as a colleague, not a brother or son or friend. Maybe here would be different.

Maybe my Extant would think different of me.

With a deep breath and a tidbit of inspiration weaving its way through my heart, I stepped into the school with a smile on my face. I, Oliver Kilos, a demon, was going to meet the individual that I was going to look at as a friend. Not a student. Because everyone deserves much more.

In the morning, Oliver Kalos was still beside me, the padded white of his jacket making my skin melt like butter. One arm was over me, one leg over one of mine, and one hand at an odd angle under his chin. He was quite obviously one of those people that found comfort in the most awkward positions.

I creased my eyebrows in a mixture of frustration and confusion, indecisive on whether I should kick him off or let him lie there a little longer. My eyes skipped over his smooth, lily skin. The boy looked so peaceful in his sleep. His lips were slightly parted, eyelids laid gently over the vastness of his eyes. My hand loomed cautiously towards him, but instead of waking him, I softly took his hand from under his chin and brought it between us. I was careful not to wake him. My heart thudded, as if it had grown moth wings and was attempting to batter out of my chest. Our hands together were a mixture of tentive electricity and soft comfort. I'd never felt anything like it before.

This feeling... is weird. I held his hand in between us and rested mine on his. You're my... friend. Right? It just feels so weird to think that Mary isn't the only person that I care about now... I half-lidded my black eyes, bringing his limp hand to my cheek. So strange to think that I used to not have you. I am so glad... that you guys, you Cromans, became part of my life. Even if I don't show it... Is this... inappropriate? I frowned. You probably shouldn't hold my hand anymore. Everyone may start getting the wrong idea...

Suddenly, his eyelids fluttered the tiniest bit, and he let out a small groan. His eyes revealed themselves partially, two little sapphires peeking out from the skin. "Morning, Emma... Sleep well?" His pupils shrunk as he caught sight of his hands, which still covered my cheek.

With a grimace, I released his hand with a great force. "Yeah... I did... Uh..." I blinked at him curiously. "How about you?"

He smiled. "Like a baby, now that you're here." He gripped my hand again. "I almost forgot we were at Gran P's, haha."

His laughter was a melody that almost competed with Metallica. Almost. I let my hand go limp instead of snatching it away, giving a frustrated huff of breath. "I don't know how you can forget. We practically spent all day yesterday getting here. Did you dream?"

"I don't think vessels dream. The dream I had was in Croma, a very long time ago. Did you dream?"

"Yeah."

He smiled softly. "What did you dream about?"

I had two dreams, and one was a vision of you before... Of course, I didn't answer him that. Sure, he knew about my ability. And true, I promised to keep him updated, but he didn't need to know every image that passed into my head. After all, I was currently having visions about his life. If someone was living mine, I wouldn't want to know. So I kept my mouth shut about it.