Part One: 15

"My king"—Jezebel whispered close to Ahab's left ear—"since seeing is believing, I put together something... interesting just for you."

As if on cue, her eunuch, the one she called Rasaque, stepped into the fighting pit. His sandaled feet left a track on the sandy ground and his bald head gave off a shine. Judging from the last time Ahab laid eyes on him, the man looked slightly unwell. Dark circles surrounded empty eyes and his complexion was sallow.

The afternoon sun burned mercilessly in the small arena. The foyer under which Ahab sat was hidden from the direct rays but the heatwave was relentless. The servants were doing their best, waving feathered fans with long measured movement but the heat was the cloying type, and even Jezebel's closeness was beginning to get uncomfortable.

Ahab's interest spiked when three haggard men were shoved forward by a prison warden. They stumbled into the arena, glancing about before looking down at the weapons they were given. One held a small knife and the other a spear.

As if sensing Ahab's confusion, Jezebel leaned forward and whispered, "They are prisoners I thought you may no longer have use of. The short one without a weapon is insane. He was found guilty of killing his mother over two years ago. The angry-looking one is Johan. I am certain you remember him. He was one at those who attempted to form an uprising against the throne of your father." She pointed at the biggest and tallest amongst them. Ahab remembered the man; his father had chosen to keep him imprisoned after killing off his entire family for his crimes.

"The last is a part of a sectionalist group responsible for the murder of about forty people."

Ahab did not recall handling the case, but at the moment he was more interested in what Jezebel was about to show him.

"I promise you will love this." She chuckled as her grey eyes danced with excitement.

When Jezebel nodded at a servant to her right, the girl made her way to the eunuch. She dipped two fingers into an earthen bowl held in her left hand. Her digits came out blood red and she smeared two lines over the bridge of the eunuch's nose. While her lips moved, she made him drink the rest.

Ahab fought hard not to roll his eyes at the ritual he was witnessing. "What am I to see?" He asked, fatigue heavy in his voice. "I thought this would be quick." He pulled at the stiff collar of his tunic; Anat had picked it out for him like she did every other evening before the next day. She also oversaw the making of his clothes, something she was exceedingly good at.

Anat would have been seated at his right if not for the fever that seized her at the early hours of the morning. He made a mental note to see her before the day's end.

"I apologise, such rituals must be carried out." Jezebel patted his arm as though to placate him before nodding at the eunuch.

Rasaque immediately turned to face Johan. The man stood tall, his grip on his spear strong and expression fierce. He snarled at the eunuch and rushed forward, weapon wielded with honed skill. Rasaque did not budge; he stood still, arms hanging at his sides and shoulders loose. Physical weakness reeked from the man.

"Why isn't he movin—" Ahab's shocked gasp stopped his words.

The spear did not pierce through the eunuch as expected.

Silence descended on the gathering. Johan applied more pressure but the weapon's sharp edge did not break the eunuch's skin.

Ahab leaned forward; the heat was forgotten as his heart thudded in his chest. He could not believe what his eyes were seeing.

Seeming to snap out of his shock, Johan drew back and struck again, piercing the eunuch at the point where his neck and shoulder met. The skin depressed but still refused to break.