Chapter 2 - Tea

The next day, Jiraiya took Minato out for a walk around the village to get those sweet dumplings that he talked about earlier.

It would be useless if Minato went to his office to work because the sannin used the Hiding in a Toad Jutsu (The user summons a special Diving Toad from Mount Myōboku and hides inside its stomach) and fed the toad all of Minato’s files that were in is office, and the only way that Minato would be able to retrieve them, is to take one day off. So with no other choice, Minato joined Jiraiya.

It was a nice afternoon, the sun was shining, the weather was perfect, and the wind blew some leaves around with laughing children trying to catch them. Minato just looked around and smiled at everything that he saw was pleasant, then started to whistle happily. Jiraiya looked at him and chuckled.

“You seem very bright this morning, Minato. I’m surprised that you went along with me, considering what I did. I thought you would have reacted like a child who has broken his favorite toy.”

Jiraiya pauses and then chuckles again.

“It seems that Kushina really took all that stress out of your mind.”

The Sannin then starts to laugh hysterically.

Minato stops whistling, and looks to his side so that Jiraiya won’t see him blush.

“Ha ha ha, at least I know that my student is all grown up now,” says Jiraiya, patting Minato on the shoulder.

“I was wondering how you managed to put me in that immobilizing jutsu without me being able to stop it,” asks Minato, quickly changing the subject.  

Jiraiya begins to giggle.

“Of course, it isn’t easy to sneak up on the Yellow Flash. So, I got some stuff from Mount Myōboku and Kushina slipped it into your tea this morning, uh, I mean, I slipped it into your tea this morning. Don’t know what it was, but it was effective,” replies Jiraiya.

Shocked, Minato wonders how he let that happen. Kushina was right, how can he be a Hokage when simple things like dressing up and spiked drinks could kill him?

But who was he to blame? It was Jiraiya’s fault. He was Minato’s sensei and yet didn’t warn him the slightest bit about getting poisoned.  

Although, he probably didn’t teach him so that he could use it as an advantage such as yesterday.

“It definitely left an impression when I woke up,” says Minato, patting his head that attained a bruise after yesterdays fall.

“Yes, Shima did mention that you’d feel a bit dizzy after waking up if you’d taken it and fell asleep.”

NOTE: Shima, admired as the Mother of the Toad Way, is an elder toad from Mount Myōboku.  As the heirs of the Great Toad Sage, she and her husband are known as the “Two Great Sage Toads”.  

 “You know sensei, I can have you arrested for potentially harming the Hokage and for robbery,” jokes Minato.

“Yes, you can. But, I am Jiraiya… The Toad Sage!” Exclaims Jiraiya, who summons a medium-sized toad, then takes on a heroic pose, causing people to stare at the two.

“Did you really have to send for him?” Questions Minato, slightly embarrassed by his sensei.

“I had to make a point,” states Jiraiya proudly after the toad poofs off back to Mt. Myōboku.  But not before the toad could call him a baka,  to which Jiraiya pretends not to hear.

The Hokage and sannin finally make it to the dumpling shop and order some food and tea. Once they received the food, Jiraiya started to feast, while Minato ate casually, ignoring his cup of tea.