:Darker Than Black: [Chapter: Twenty-Four] //An Original Story

A loud, sharp ringing filled my ears and I frowned, turning to the phone. After a second it rang again. I sighed, looking at the soapy dish in my hand. I shrugged and continued washing it, deciding not to answer the phone. After a few more rings the answering machine picked up.

"This is Emmery Willow, I am not available at the moment, so please leave your name and number and I will get back to you as soon as possible."

There was a beep and a new voice met my ears.

"Hey Emmery, it's mom-"

I turned back to my dishes, rolling my eyes. She better not of called to ask me to move back home.

"-I'm just calling to say an early happy birthday. I'm going camping with John tomorrow, so I won't be able to call and tell you tomorrow. I'll come visit you and we'll go out to celebrate when I get back, okay honey? I'll try calling you again soon. Bye, I love you."

The dish I was holding fell to the floor and broke. I stared at the answering machine in horror. My hands shook as I ran to the calendar, not noticing the glass cutting my feet as I stepped on it. I traced my finger down the dates until I came to today. June 16th.

"Oh my God," I gasped, my heart jumping into my throat. "Oh my God. Oh my God!"

It had to be wrong! It couldn't almost be the seventeenth already! Why hadn't Hudson said anything sooner?

It had been so dull lately. Not one single prediction. I hadn't noticed the days going by so fast! But Hudson should have said something. I wasn't prepared. We hadn't even talked about it yet! Did he know how he was going to die?

In fact I hadn't seen Hudson in about four days. He hadn't shown in school Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday. He had texted me saying he was sick and it was really contagious so he couldn't leave his apartment or have visitors.

I frowned slightly. This was important though. I had to know a little bit about tomorrow before it happened.

I wiped my hands off on my pants and headed to my door. "Be right back, Oli."

Oliver barely even opened his eye to look at me from his kitty bed. I rolled my eyes. He was a very lazy cat.

I left my apartment and shut the door behind me, going next door and knocking on the door.

"Hudson? Are you there?"

When no answer came, I pounded on the door again, this time louder. After a few minutes there still wasn't an answer. I sighed and waited a few moments before trying again. Still no answer.

"Now's not the time to ignore me," I muttered, taking a deep breath and letting it out slowly.

I decided to try the door. I put my hand to the knob and turned it. To my greatest surprise, the door opened. I stood still in shock for a moment. Usually Hudson had his door locked, unless he was just at my house.

I slowly pushed it open and stepped inside. It was dark. I walked down the hall while I ran my hand against the wall until I found the light switch. I flipped it on and light flooded the living room.

The place was set up exactly like my apartment, except Hudson's was exceptionally bare. There wasn't even a T.V in his living. I stared at his living room curiously. The only things in this room were the pieces furniture that came with the apartment.

I left the living room and went to the kitchen. Again, the room was bare. Nothing of Hudson's was in there. I opened the fridge to find it empty. I did the same to the freezer, which was empty as well.

Now I felt a slight sickness in my gut. I tried holding back all the thoughts I was having. I didn't want to acknowledge them.

I ran to his bedroom, throwing open the door. The bed was made, the room empty. Not even an alarm clock on the nightstand. I walked to the closet and threw it open. Nothing. I went to the dresser and opened every drawer. Nothing.