Chapter 1: Spare Change

"And would you ever feel guilty if you did the same for me? Could you make me a cup of a tea to open my eyes in the right way?"

I quietly hummed to myself as I glanced down the dark avenue. I hardly could see anything, it was so dark and ominous. It was as if anyone could just jump out from the treacherous dark and just snatch me right up my spot on this bench; my screams would be drowned in the darkness, and then...

Gone.

Never to be seen again.

I shivered and grasped my blanket a bit tighter. It was so cold, and...lonely.

And oh, was it so eerily quiet. I was scared to even make a noise, for that mad man would be able to drag me from here and my screams wouldn't be heard.

I just wanted another person's warmth...

No, I didn't even want another person's warmth, I just needed another person's company. But those pitied looks I would get from the people who walked past everyday haunted me.

It was all so very true. I was so pitiful to even look at. Revolting. Disgusting.

But what else could I do? Sit in a parking lot and rot away? I just couldn't bear to.

When one dies, what happens? You feel nothing. Everything is just dark. A never ending blackness. No feelings, no people, nothing.

I need to find a reason to live. Anything.

I sighed and stood up. The sun had just started to rise, turning the sky into a blend of bright blue and golden streaks. I grabbed my small cup; it was quite old and was starting to crack a bit on the edges. I glanced down the avenue again, only to find it was much more vivid now.

No mad man.

Few cars drove by in the early hours of the morning.

I yawned as that same blue car made its way into the parking lot. A man exited the small car, and he was dressed very professionally.

Well, he was the manager of the Starbucks I've been basically living outside of for the past month.

"Top of the morning," he greeted me as he fumbled with the keys to open the front door. He didn't look me in the eye; he never did.

"Good morning," I replied quietly. "Hope you have a nice day today, sir."

"Thanks. You too." His response lacked emotion as he entered the café.

It didn't take very long for several employees to arrive as well. Each greeted me the same way; with a quick nod of the head or the subtle tip of a hat.

No eye contact whatsoever.

I set my cup directly in front of me and sat glumly. My stomach growled. I needed a meal today.

Eventually, customers began arriving. I recognized most as regulars, but others were entirely new faces. As they walked past, I received the normal pitied looks and spare change from purses and pockets.

It was so overwhelmingly cold at this time of morning. I shivered and closed my eyes. Warmth. I needed warmth. I counted the coins I've collected so far.

I sighed.

Only thirty two cents. At this rate, I wouldn't even have enough to buy a beverage for several hours. As I stared at my change, I heard footsteps approach me. More spare change, I thought as I lifted my cup without even bothering to look up.

"I'm not giving you any change," I heard their voice say. I glanced up, only to see a brunette with deep blue eyes. His cheeks were a bit red because of the cold weather. His eyes radiated with kindness, but he was expressionless.

A statue.

"What do you want, then?" I growled and looked down again, avoiding his eyes. They were so hypnotizing. I could almost drown in them.

"I'll be right back," he said. His voice was so smooth; like velvet. I sighed and grasped my blanket again. I was shivering as he entered the café next to me.

He probably didn't even care about me. It was probably all just a cruel joke. He seemed like he was from an entirely different world; just my existence was probably a nuisance. Asking complete strangers for spare change...how pathetic could I possibly be?

Suddenly, I heard the familiar creak of the door opening. He exited the café and gave me a warm smile as he approached me.

I felt my heart stop. His smile was so...welcoming. The atmosphere completely changed.

I noticed he was holding two cups of coffee. "Here you go," he said as he handed me the cup; the steam rising from it warmed my face a bit.

I was at a loss of words. "Oh no, I couldn't possibly take this-"

"Then take this too," he interrupted as he took off his coat. He was only wearing a long sleeved shirt now.

"I wouldn't want a pretty girl like you to get too cold out here." His blue orbs stared at mine.

I didn't say anything. I was shocked. I just sat there like a complete idiot. "Well, go ahead, put the jacket on," he said as he sat down next to me.

Without a word, I slipped both of my arms through the jacket. It was still warm with his body heat. He nodded his head with approval.

"I'm guessing you want me to drink some of this coffee too?" I finally said. "Your guess is right," he grinned.

"How do I know you didn't spike this drink?" I questioned.

Oh God, I really am an idiot.

"I was hoping you'd trust me," he pouted. "Here, I'll prove it." He grabbed it from my hands and took a sip. His lips gently brushed the brim of the cup as he did.

I don't know why I was looking at his lips; they just attracted my attention. Kind of like his eyes. They stood out. In a good way, of course.

"Is that proof enough?" I felt my cheeks burning. This was so embarrassing. "I guess so," I whispered as I raised the cup to my lips and took a gulp. I felt relieved. It warmed me right up. I could tell he took the time to put a bit of milk and sugar in it as well.

Suddenly, he stood up and stretched. "Th-Thank you," I said. "Ah, no problem." He said as he gently patted me on the head. "But sir...why are you doing this? I'm afraid we've never met-"

I noticed his eyes widened a bit, but he quickly covered it up with a smile.

That smile that made my heart melt.

"I don't know," he replied. "There's something special about you, I just don't know what it is." He turned around, his back towards me. He started to walk away.

"W-Wait! I never got your name!" I shouted towards him, my cheeks burning red.

I could feel my heart beat pounding in my chest. I needed to know his name. Just in case I'd never see him again.

It probably didn't even matter, he was most likely going to be reduced to just a small memory held in the back of my mind; but I didn't care.

He turned around, grinned, then continued walking again.

"The name's Louis."