What The War Did

*(Still) Adrenaline Revolver's POV*

We held hands as we headed back over to where Ghost was with The Fabulous Killjoys. I bit my lip nervously. I wanted to fight, I really did, but… I wish I could do so without fearing that Poison Hell, Day Blade or Ghost Speaker would get hurt. If they were captured, I would be ruined. If they died, I would be ruined. I knew that during this fight my attention would be more on them than on my attackers.

 And we had to protect The Fabulous Killjoys too. I vowed to put their lives before mine. If they died, the rest of the Rebels would be without their leaders, without their hope; whereas it didn’t matter if I died.

 I slowly handed Ghost her gun and she grimaced. We had a quick crash-course in aiming and shooting with Dr. D., and then it was only a matter of time.

 The waiting was killing me.

 At least no other Rebels appeared. We were still hours ahead of the concert which was lucky.

 “Over there!” Jet Star yelled, and he pointed in the distance where a gang of people dressed all in white were walking towards us.

 They were merely pinpricks on the horizon.

 “Wait a second!” Kobra Kid said quietly, and he raised a hand to shield his eyes from the sun. As the army of Draculoids advanced, we could see a break in their formation- there was a S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W car with them.

 Whoever that car carried, we didn’t have time to re-plan. We stood, looking strong, in V-formation, waiting. As the Draculoids came closer, Dr. D. began to shout.

 “GET READY KILLJOYS!” he roared, and the four Fabulous Killjoys put on their helmets and we all raised our guns at the same time.

 The skylight of the car scrolled back and a figure appeared through it.

 “GO!” the figure yelled, and the Dracs and Exterminators broke into a run, the car accelerated also.

 “Shit! It’s Korse!” Fun Ghoul shrieked, but it was too late; we were running towards them now.

 We ran, singing at high volume, taking aim at the figures dressed solely in white. Their freaky masks brought back memories of my horror-filled day in Battery City. The masks still terrified me…

 Speeds increased and soon we collided, the two gangs battling each other. Guns fired and beams of light shot everywhere, I narrowly avoided being hit. In all the confusion at first I panicked and didn’t hit a single thing, but then my mind cleared when I saw my girls fighting well and I shot down my first Drac.

 “Rev! Look out!” Jet Star shouted, and I span round just in time to see the Drac sneaking up behind me, his gun raised, arm outstretched. I kicked the gun out of his hand, ducked under his arm and pulled off his mask. He started to choke and collapsed to the ground. I threw the mask down beside his lifeless body.

 I couldn’t think of it like I was killing people. If I thought of it like that I would have to stop and maybe throw up. Yes, they had been people once, but these altered things were now my enemy, and they were poisoning the world and I couldn’t stop until every single one of them was dead.

 I spotted Korse firing into the mass of limbs from the car and I knew I had to get to him.

 “Look alive, Sunshine-”

 “DR. D., D’YOU REALLY THINK THAT NOW IS AN APPROPRIATE TIME TO BROADCAST?” Fun Ghoul screamed, and if I wasn’t so concentrated on my fighting I would’ve laughed.