Kindly Unspoken

I put my glasses back in their case as the bell to dismiss us from class rang.

"Katie!" yelled a voice, desperate to be heard over the loud voices of Mellvile High.

I looked over my shoulder to see my friend Meredith excitedly waving at me across the hall.

I shook my head at her in amusement. she was a quirky ball of energy, but she was a good friend of mine.

As I came in her range, she quickly gripped my arm with her monstrous strength. I winced at the pain as she drew me in.

"Look, look, look!" she insisted. I glanced at the magazine she was urging me to look at. I suppressed a a groan of annoyance at the boy on the cover.

David Skyes.

"And what about it, Meredith?" I asked. I internally grimaced when I heard the agitation in my voice.

Her shoulders slumped as she threw me a look of exasperation.

"C'mon Katie, it's David Skyes, the David Skyes."

We'd been over this so many times, I practically knew exactly how the conversation was going to go.

"Your point being?"

I began inspecting my nails as Meredith began ranting about how kind and wonderful and hot this David Skyes was.

I gave up on my nails and turned towards my locker to gather my things for my next class.

"-and just recently, he helped out this charity to save abused animals. how sweet is he?"

She let out a breath of what I'm assuming is annoyance when she noticed my lack of motivation to listen to her.

I could tell she was winding down so I changed the topic.

"Did you do the homework for Martin?"

"Oh my gosh! No! He's going to kill me. Please, can I copy your homework, just this once?"

I smiled softly at her begging.

"You say that every time."

She gave me her not-really-cute puppy dog eyes.

I rolled my eyes and gave in.

"Whatever. This is the last time."

She cut me off with her loud hooting and cheering. She ran ahead of me, skipping cheerily, David long forgotten

My shoulders slumped downward. this is rally starting to get tiresome. All this hiding and pointless acting is giving me a headache.

I quickened my steps when I heard the minute bell.

I intwined my fingers and rose them above my head stretching. I squinted my eyes as I walked out the school building. The sun is so bright, it's an annoyance.

I pulled my car keys from the side pocket of my backpack. I unlocked my unsuspicious-looking car.

Pulling out of the school's parking lot, I thought about the conversation I had with Meredith this morning.

Why did she have to like David of all celebrities. Yeah, I mean, he is one of the most famous young models out there right now, but still, why him?

He's not even attractive.

I swung into the huge wrap around drive way that led to my house... er, mansion.

I locked the car and went inside to the kitchen.

"I'm home!"

I listened for a reply as I opened the fridge to look for a Snickers. Hey, they're my guilty pleasure.