Keep My Heart- 9

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

   -John Lennon

"Adam, it is so good to see you!" Rashleigh smiled, not daring to look down into Olivia's eyes that fluttered with unshed tears. She locked her eyes to the ground silently, hoping not to appear out of place.

"Hello, brother," Adam replied with a genuine smile. He had missed Rashleigh, despite all of his misbegotten ideas about honor and his lack thereof. A few feet behind Rashleigh stood Georgiana, overdressed and wordless. She stared through Olivia, expression more than legible.

Her golden-brown hair was worn in a fashionable knot, barrel curls grazing her shoulders in an extremely feminine manner. Her plump, pink lips were drawn into a taut line and her large, round eyes were like saucers. Dark lashes surrounded those prettily enormous eyes and they reminded one of delicate butterfly feelers.

"Meet my wife," Rashleigh said, sidestepping, summoning to Georgiana. Her face changed immediately to a dazzling, sunshiney smile.

"I'm certainly glad that my brother has managed to entangle a lady of breeding. I'm very pleased to meet you," Adam gushed graciously.

"You're all too kind," Georgiana Greene-Hawke purred, tilting her head to one side, knowing that the sun would sparkle charmingly in her earrings. She observed her brother-in-law with concealed distaste, and was inwardly glad that she had snagged Rashleigh.

"I trust your journey was enjoyable?"

Rashleigh grinned, and slipped his arm through his wife's dainty little crook. "The Atlantic was kind. However, there was a bit of trouble with the..."

And Olivia felt she was the outsider. Adam was enraptured in the tale, and well...she did not care for the attention of the others. Oh, if only she might take refuge in Hawke's Vale! Tucked safely away in her chamber, the door deliciously locked with Constance in attendance. This was the worst care scenario of her life. She hoped she came off as observant and shy, but the only thing Olivia was observing was the cobblestone street beneath her. All her fire, all her courage, her moxie--they were gone and she knew she must appear a coward.

Breathing was effortful. It felt as though they stood there for ten thousand years, conversing over the trivial weather and the journey. When she had arrived in Boston, Adam had barely spoken to her. And...oh, she felt quite faint but she was alright. The heat was quite stifling, and she did not wish to be here.

"Olivia," she heard her name, and looked up, instinctively.

His eyes were a sincere blue and he smiled. "It has been a long time."

No, no, no. Why was he speaking to her? She resisted the urge to bolt away, and instead nodded as courteously as she could.

"You look well," he said kindly. "I'm certain you and Georgiana will be better friends than ever."

Why is he doing this? Her heart was broken afresh and she longed to get away. Why wasn't Adam saying anything? Why was he allowing this?

"I'm certain," she returned, and cast her eyes to the ground. As if this situation was not unfelicitous enough.

"You must be tired," Adam said to his brother and sister-in-law. "And I'm certain you're eager to return to Hawke's Vale as well." He turned his head to his wife.

His eyes lingered on her longer than necessary. "Georgiana, you must be exhausted, and I know that I am absolutely famished."

"Let us all be on our way then. There is a carriage waiting for you and your things. I trust that you will be well accomodated." Adam was very decided and his authority was almost calming to Olivia. She looked at him, in wonder, grateful he was sparing her feelings from further mutilation.

The next few moments were quick and before she knew it, she was staring at her husband in the dim carriage. The other Hawkes were several yards behind them. Olivia breathed lightly, wishing violently to scream and scream until she could speak no longer.

"Thank you," Adam said softly at last.

She looked away, eyes blurred with tears. "For?"

"You have handled this so far with immeasurable grace," he began earnestly, face gentle, "and I commend you for it. I shall admit, Rashleigh is being impertinent in his treatment towards you, and I do not like it. However, your...you have shown a great deal of honor, Olivia. I admire you for it."

She slowly faced him, incredulous to what he had said to her. Had he complimented her, had he really? It sent a bit of a warmth to her cheeks and she smiled, although it was a tragic smile. "I am delighted to know that my disposition has pleased you."

He frowned at her, his brows knitting tightly together over his greenish eyes. "You needn't put up a front. As I said, I admire your honor. And I see you as you are."

"As I am?" she repeated. "What is the meaning of that?" There was a furrow between her eyes and her blue eyes were icy.

"He has hurt you. I see that you are hurting still. You do not need to hide this from me."

"I am not that stupid little girl I once was," Olivia snapped harshly, clenching her fists. Her voice was tight, almost to cracking. "I am not still waiting on some cad to return to me. He broke me..." And she could hold her tears in no more. "He broke every promise he ever made."

Adam regarded her with a glassy gape. His eyes were blank and his face held nothing. He did not know what to say and he was contemplating what to say.

"I apologize for his actions," he told her.

She merely held her head in her hands, hopelessly, and cried.

"Olivia."

Her quiet sobs were further muffled. Adam observed her, feeling helpless, but flattened his lips. They had been friends before, but they were acting as strangers. He knew of her secret battles and his heart softened toward her. In truth, his heart was also soft when it came to her. He had known anguish throughout his life, but he was strong. He had told her that she was stronger than she assumed...but perhaps she was not.

He moved across the carriage, seating himself beside her. She wept and wept, and then without reserve, fell against his chest. Adam looked down at the tumbled dark hair against his overcoat, winding his arm around her. It was nice to feel the redolent fragrance of her perfume in his nose; it was sweet to feel the warmth of her, close to him.

Her cries softened after several minutes. "Please do not leave me alone," she whispered.

He smoothed his hand over her hair. "Listen to me," he replied in a voice, "I suppose it is possible to postpone the trip until they leave."

She did not conceal her awe. "You would postpone your business trip for me?"

"Of course I would, you goose. You are my wife. Husbands do those things for their wives."

"Husbands do those things when--well, never mind that." She sat up, and Adam knew she had been saying, Husbands do those things when they love their wives.

He gazed down at her with some new feeling inside, but it was something entirely familiar. However, he sloughed it away when she began speaking.

"You're better to me than I deserve." Her voice was susurrous and subdued, and she pressed her small white hand to his arm.

He said nothing, but felt the fond warmth radiating from her hand to where it was on his arm, and Adam wondered to himself if perhaps, there was an explanation for this sensation.