26.

"We're almost there.", Coby told us from the front seat and I could see his posture stiffen.

His dark blue eyes took in everything he could from the Waterfall territory and I saw the shift from the quiet and calm Coby I got to know to the pack warrior he was born to be.

Even the ever joking Bryan was almost silent the whole drive from the Redwood territory to the Waterfall pack.

My stomach tightened even further when I realized how critical the situation already was and we were not even there yet. I felt like I was going to be sick. I had not managed to eat anything in the morning so there would be nothing to come up, but I still felt nauseous.

Daniel tightened his arms around me, but for once I did not feel safe in my mate's strong arms.

I tried to get my labored breathing and my pounding heart under control, but I failed.

I burried my head into Daniel's neck and took a deep breath of his mouthwatering scent.

He smelt like christmas, like love and peace. I so desperately wanted the peace.

"I'm so sorry my love, I don't know how I can help you,", Daniel whispered and I could only imagine how sad his emerald green eyes must look.

"You're here, that's more than enough!", I responded in a low voice and softly kissed my mark on his neck.

The pleasure he felt at my touch was only short lived, because Daniel was too concerned about me.

I desperately wanted to escape this unhappy mood I was in, but as hard as I tried I could not.

In mere minutes my brother would compete against an Alpha, who was at least 20 years his senior.

I tried to remember the conversation I had with Jamie yesterday and how relieved he had looked when I had told him again how proud I was of him and how strong he had become.
My words had meant a lot to him, I could tell, but the gnawing feeling inside my heart would not stop although I had seen Jamie defeat Alex fair and square.

Something just told me that everything was going to go wrong.

Trust in Jamie and his abilities!

My wolf reminded me yet again and I tried my best to follow her advice.

I felt the car slowing down and lifted my head to look outside.

The territory of the Waterfall pack was beautiful with lush green mountains and hills. The people here looked rather friendly, but at the same time I detected a sadness in them I could not explain.

When we came to a stop in front of the pack house I desperately searched my mind for any memories here, but I came up empty.

My eyes then locked with surprised looking dark brown eyes. My breathing faltered because never had I seen such dark eyes. They seemed almost lifeless.

Those eyes belonged to a muscular looking man in his fourties. He had short brown hair and stood tall between what must be his Beta and a warrior.

Alpha Benson's whole expression became stunned when he saw me through the car window and I could only guess who he thought I resembled.

Daniel growled threatingly beside me and Benson instantly averted his eyes and managed to get rid of his astonished expression.

His action just now told me that Benson hid something, why else would he try to hide his surprised expression, if he had indeed nothing to do with the murder of my parents and Jamie's and I disappearance.