Prologue

A wail erupts from the corner of the massive room. Two newborn babies lay in a cradle, one struggling with the linen in which he is wrapped, while the other lays there calmly with her wondering eyes wide open. On a lavish four poster bed in the middle of the room, lays the exhausted queen. Beads of sweat roll down her forehead and she gasps for breath. A man sits beside her, clutching her hand.

"I don't have much time." The queen whispers. "Promise me that will get out alive no matter what."

The man nods his head and gives her a swift kiss on the forehead.

"I love you" He mumbles and rises from the bed. Several long strides and he is next to the cradle. He picks up the girl and holds her close to his chest. There is a knot on the wall and when he presses it, a hidden door opens. Before entering the tunnel, he turns back for one last look at the queen. She gives him a weak smile and gestures for him to go. He nods and rushes into the passage. As soon as the door closes, the king bursts into the room with a furious look on his face. There is a longsword at his hip and he quickly unsheathes it. The queen's eyes widen and a look of fear crosses her face.

"How could you do this!" he yells at her. Seconds later his sword is plunged deep into her chest and she shudders before laying still. The child left in the corner lets out a small cry and the king crosses over to the cradle. He aimlessly picks him up and stares into his .bright blue eyes.

"You my boy, have just killed your mother." He says maliciously and places him back in the cradle before striding out of the room to let the staff know that his beloved, treasured wife has just died while giving birth to their prince.

Several miles away in a small cottage, another mother draws her last breath as her daughter takes her first.