Chapter 2

Copyright 2014 misscowgirlup22

Chapter 2

            “What!? Oh my goodness Chrissie that’s great new!” Anna yelled into her cell phone.

            “Yeah, my assignment is to do research on the search and rescue operation in Montana…” Chrissie trailed off.

            “You don’t sound very excited about your assignment. What’s wrong?”

            “I am excited it’s just I don’t want to see your husband’s best friend.” Chrissie cringed while she waited for Anna to yell at her over the phone.

            “I’ve been meaning to ask you about what happened between you and Derek,” she paused. “So what happened between the two of you.”

            Chrissie had known that that question was coming, but she’d never thought to prepare and answer for it.

            After a minute of waiting for a response from Chrissie, Anna spoke. “Are you still there?”

            “Yeah, I’m still here.”

            “Okay, then tell me what happened.”

            “We don’t get along. We annoy each other and I don’t see that ever changing.” Chrissie knew she was being vague, but she didn’t want to tell Anna the whole story over the phone.

            “There’s more that you’re not telling me Chrissie.” She said without beating around the bush.

            “Anna can we talk about this when I get to Montana, I really don’t want to have this conversation over the phone. I’m tired and I have a long trip ahead of me.”

            “Fine, but when you get here I want the whole story and none of those crappy excuses that you just used on me.”

            “Okay, I’ll tell the whole story when I get there.” Chrissie was cringing as she said that, she really didn’t want to discuss her situation with Derek to anyone, not even Anna.

            “Do you need one of us to pick you up from the airport? It probably wouldn’t be me since I’m about to pop, but Brent or one of the hands could come and get you.”

For a moment Chrissie had almost forgotten that Anna was quickly approaching her due date and any time now they’d be welcoming a miniature Anna into the world.

            “No, but thanks for the offer, the search and rescue people are sending someone to pick me up from the airport. I’m not quite sure who it will be. They’ll probably have someone at the baggage claim holding up a sign with my name on it.”

            “Alright… I can’t wait for you to get here. I’ve missed you so much. Don’t get me wrong I love my husband, but I’ve missed the company of my best friend.”

            Hearing Anna say that she missed her made Chrissie’s heart ache. Chrissie would love to live near Anna, but her job was in New York and she had to do what was best for her career.

            “I’ve missed you, too. I’ll see you tomorrow night. Love you.”

            “Okay, see you tomorrow. Love you, too.”

Chrissie heard the click signaling that Anna had ended the call and then she sighed. Living so far away from her best friend was getting harder. She’d been able to visit Anna rather frequently until things with her work had begun to pick up.