~1~ Mickey Who?

PLEASE READ THE BLURB IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY.

THIS IS THE OLD VERSION. I WILL NOT BE UPDATING ON THIS VERSION ANYMORE. THE NEW VERSION IS ON MY PROFILE. :)

==================

Chapter One: Mickey Who?

Song for this chapter: “Alice” by Avril Lavigne

          Who knew that a cartoon mouse could change someone’s life so drastically?

          As I entered the classroom, I noticed that the students were even more chatty than usual. It was only first period. This was the time of the day, where most people just tried to sleep through the agonizing fifty-five minutes. I located my bestfriend, Heather, who was talking to several girls and guys, forming a large circle in the middle of the room.

          Heather noticed me and jerked her head towards her and the group, a gesture telling me to go over there. I sighed, setting my book down on my assigned seat, which happened to be in the middle row, first seat. My seat meant no sleeping for me.

          As soon as I was within earshot to Heather, I said, “Why’re you guys so loud?”

          “You mean you didn’t hear?” Heather inquired. Her hazel eyes seemed to widen with shock.

          “Obviously not,” I murmured, not understanding her reaction.

          The girl to the right of me, Lena, interceded with her own question. “Did you read Mickey’s blog last night?”

          Realizing that this was about Mickey, my curious face dropped. I didn’t find Mickey interesting; in fact, I found it overrated, dumb, and stupid. Why would a person with a sane mind, want advice from an anonymous person? Glancing around, I realized that just about everyone in the school wasn’t “sane”.

          “Nope,” I replied to Lena, popping the p as I said it.

          “Seriously? What kind of person doesn’t read Mickey’s blog?” Lena shot me a look that suddenly made a sour feeling crawl into my stomach. I didn’t like that look.

          I bit back a tempting remark. It was too early for fighting. Way too early. Instead, I mustered up a somewhat polite smile and said, “Why don’t you just tell me what it is then, Lena?”

          Heather sent me a warning look, probably noticing the strain in my voice, but I just rolled my eyes in response. She was such a worrywart.

          “Mickey’s quitting,” she finally answered, summing up the big fuss in two words.

          “Really? Then Mickey’s blog is done, right?” I couldn’t stop the hopeful sound in my voice. Everyone in the group looked at me. Their facial expressions looked like I had just stomped on their foot or something.

          “No,” Heather cut in, killing my wishful thinking. “Mickey’s going to be finding a replacement. And it’s going to be chosen by who Mickey thinks is eligible.”

          “And is that why everyone’s so excited? Because they want to be the new ‘Mickey’?” I guessed.

          “Yup, pretty much.”

          “Well, that’s…interesting.” I frowned. I wanted to say stupid, but I managed to refrain from saying it.

          The group then began to guess who was going to be the next Mickey, and I sure as heck was out of the candidacy. Wandering back to my seat, I took a gander around the class, somewhat annoyed with the fact that they all wanted to be Mickey. Just what was so great about becoming the next Mickey?