Heartbreak - Sexter

In a small apartment in Dublin's south sat a particular Dead Man atop a marble kitchen bench. Saracen Rue was waiting for the lasagna in the oven to cook and for Dexter Vex to come home. His boyfriend had said he was going out for a run. That was two hours ago now and Saracen was getting worried. He took his phone out of his pocket and clicked on the speed dial of Dexter's number, holding the phone up to his ear. It rang out before the pre-recorded response answered. Saracen had heard it a million times before but he couldn't help but listen to Vex's voice.
"Hey, I can't get to the phone right now. I'm probably in bed doing something more interesting than picking up the phone. Leave me a message and I'll get back to you."
The tone sounded and Saracen hung up. That was the sixth time he'd called and gotten no answer. He was worried.

He put his phone on the bench and slid off it, checking on the lasagna. It was finished. He put on oven mitts and took it out of the oven, placing it on the stove top to let it cool.

He sighed running a hand through his hair as he took a step back, sliding the oven mitts off his hands and placing them on the cool benchtop next to his phone. He paced back and forth for a moment before deciding to set the table, getting out two sets of cutlery, two wine glasses and a bottle of wine. He filled both the glasses, taking a sip from one. He paced back into the kitchen and took out two plates from the cupboard, placing them on the bench. He served up two servings of lasagna and put them at the table.
He took a seat at one end of the table, looking to the empty space that Dexter should be. "Where are you?" He asked aloud, hands shaking at his sides.

~

An hour later the door opened and Dexter came in, coat collar up against the cold. "Hey baby." He grinned, coming into the living and dining room and throwing his coat onto the couch. Saracen just looked at him as he came over to the table and kissed his cheek.
"Why the long face?" He asked as he took the seat opposite him and began eating his food, Saracen's plate already licked clean.
Rue looked up at him incredulously. "You said you were going for a run."
"I did."

"For three hours?" He exclaimed, slamming his hands on the table.
"It was a long run? I don't know why you're so angry, babe."
"Dexter..." Saracen began, sadness in his gaze. "I was worried sick."
"I-I'm sorry. But you know I like my exercise."
"I left you six messages."
"You're overreacting."
"I am not overreacting! You were gone three whole hours!"
"Honey... calm down..."
Saracen sighed angily, standing up and going over to the couch, sitting down on it. He picked up Dexter's coat, folding it in his lap when he felt his phone vibrate inside it. He took it out and looked at the message.
"Hey sexy ;) Thanks for tonight. I'll see you next week, same time? -Kyle"
Dexter had been staring at his food the whole time, not seeing Saracen take his phone.
Saracen looked up, throwing the phone against the couch as he stood. "Who the hell is Kyle?" He exclaimed angrily, storming over to the table. Dexter looked up, face red. "Oh my god. Did you look at my phone?"
"Who the hell is Kyle?!" He repeated, tears stinging his eyes.
"He's just some mortal..."
"Just some mortal?!" Saracen was close to sobbing with rage, running a hand through his hair. "Just some mortal that you spent the last three hours with after lying to me about where you were! Dexter, are you cheating on me?!"
"Saracen I-"
"If you weren't happy you could have just said!" He all but yelled, storming out of the front door. Dexter stood up quickly, the chair clattering to the floor with the force. He ran after him. "Saracen, babe..."
He held up the rude finger behind him, not looking at the man he loved so very much as he cried, walking quickly down the empty street.
"Saracen wait!" He called after him.
Rue broke into a run, wanting, needing, to get away from him, to have some space to think. He ran towards the nearby park, bare feet hitting the ground hard as he ran. He could hear Dexter behind him, calling out his name, but he didn't stop. He just kept running as fast as he could, vision blurred from tears. He blinked furiously, trying to stop the flow of tears. He was so distracted he didn't see that he had passed the park and was heading towards the river. The river in question ran in a valley about three meters deep, the way down a steep cliff with railing at the top. Saracen wiped his eyes as he heard Dexter cry out a warning. But it was too late, he was already plumetting over the railing and towards the rushing water below.

~

It was almost like something from his nightmares. Dexter could do nothing but watch as Saracen, rather comically, fell over the railing and into the river below. He ran, quickly climbing over the rail and jumping into the river. He landed hard on his feet, twisting one of his ankles, but he didn't care. He ran as best as he could in the water, over to Saracen, his body limp and floating in the water, face down. He waded over to him, picking him up and lifting his head out of the water. Blood was gushing from a cut on his head. Dear god, please let him be okay. He looked around, now surrounded by the steep rock walls on either side of him, no way out of the river. This was not good. He waded downstream, following the flow of the water and hoping the valley would even out soon. Saracen lay limp in his arms, clutched to his chest, head held out of the rushing current.

Dexter was starting to panic by now. The water was getting deeper and now came up to his chest and the current was getting stronger, pulling him further and further downstream. He struggled to stay upright with Saracen in his arms. Ahead of them he saw a small cliff. This was not good. Not good at all. The river did flatten out nearing the waterfall so if Dexter could get out of the centre of the river he could make his way to the river bank. That was all well and good in theory but the pull was strong. He waded against it, trying desperately to get to the edge of the river. 'Oh gods Saracen you idiot, why do you have to be such a drama queen and get us in these situations all the time.' He thought as he finally reached the edge, grasping onto the rock with one hand, the other supporting Saracen. He hurled him onto the back before climbing up and collapsing next to him, panting heavily.

Things from then on where a bit blurry. Someone rushed over to help them, then he was in a car and the next minute lying in a hospital bed.

~

Saracen woke up with a groan, sitting up slowly. Oh god his head hurt. He blinked, his vision slowly clearing and he saw Dexter in the chair beside him, asleep. What the hell had happened? The last thing he remembered was... oh. OH. Dexter had cheated on him and he ran out of the house and then... He held a hand to his head. Come on, think. He'd run to the park and then... He fell into the river. That was it. Oh god.

He heard someone move and Dexter was standing up next to his bed.
"Please go." He mumbled.
"Saracen, please. You're hurt."
"I don't want to talk to you." He crossed his arms and lay back down, facing away from him. Dexter sighed. "Sarc, please?"
He stayed silent, tears in his eyes. He felt betrayed.

After a long pause he heard Vex sigh and walk out of the hospital room. That was the last he saw of him for months....