29 - Finally Realizing Where I Belong

First of all, SORRY D: I know it's been such a long time.

Secondly, it's almost the end of the book! One more chapter plus an epilogue and Unraveling Harmony will be completo! :)

And yeah xD

Comment, Fan, Vote, Enjoy! ~

***

Chapter 29: Harmony

            I watched Ryan walk down the road and out of sight from the lobby window. I could've taken him back in an instant. He wanted me and I was willing, but I knew better than what I wanted to believe. He hurt me and I couldn't just overlook it. How could he have been so accepting of my mistakes? Lies shattered hearts and repairing them was no easy task. I sighed, knowing that thinking about it would just intensify the pain.

            I made my way back to the apartment where I saw Daniel cleaning up his nose by the kitchen sink. My feet at the doorway sounded my entrance as he looked up. Even from where I stood a distance away the hint of irritation still could be seen in his eyes, but he easily covered it up in the next second with a sad smile. He was good at that, hiding things, and I knew very well of it.

            “You okay, Mony?” I just stood where I was, unsure of how to reply. I wasn’t in any way with the black eye still stinging and my heart tugging in two different directions.

            After a moment’s silence, Daniel came towards me with an ice bag in tow and he led me to the couch. “This might hurt a bit, but you need to keep the eye from swelling up.”

            I nodded and he gently placed the ice pack onto my eye. I cringed at the coldness and let out a small yelp. “Sorry.” Daniel apologized. I knew he wasn’t just saying that for the reaction I made from the contact of the ice on my eye. He was also sorry for inflicting the bruise and everything from the instant Ryan arrived at my doorstep and now.

            “It’s okay.” I assured him I was fine. He handed me the ice pack and I applied more pressure on my eye. I turned to him and caught his stare. We didn’t say anything, letting the quietness swallow us whole.

            “I know this isn’t probably the right time to ask, but who did you choose?” Daniel asked after clearing his throat. I tried not to roll my eyes. Of course he would want to know the answer. He never liked being pushed into the background, especially by someone like Ryan who was the total package: attractive, intriguing, and protective and that scared Daniel that he’d lose a girl to a person like Ryan.

            “I didn’t choose either of you.” I replied with a sigh, putting the ice pack into my lap in the process. “I just think a relationship is something I can’t handle right now. I hope you understand that.”

            “I get it. I just wished you would’ve given us another shot.” He said and enclosed his arms around me. Without thinking, my head rested on his shoulder and I closed my eyes, knowing this was a bad move on my part. Running his fingers through my hair, Daniel soothed me softly with a hum.

            This was so wrong in so many ways, especially when I announced I wasn’t ready or committed to another relationship, but Daniel had a way of coming easily to me and I was slowly giving in.

            There was a silence and I glanced up at him, wondering why he stopped singing. He looked back at me and before I could make sense of what was happening, he closed whatever distance we had left between us as he pressed his lips on mine. He apparently didn’t know what no meant and I guess I didn’t either as I found myself kissing him back. No, Harmony. Don’t do this to yourself. I broke it after my conscience finally decided to step in.