Chapter 6: And the Day Just Gets Better

Nathan slowly pushed through the people on board, with Boiler to his front.  Kat was walking immediately behind Nathan, with the man in the bowler hat holding the revolver firmly against her back.  They had already pushed through three cars and were making their way to the door of the fourth.  As Boiler approached the front of the car, Nathan peered around him to see two other men wearing identical clothing to the man behind Kat.  They both nodded slowly, then opened the door to proceed onto the next and last passenger car.

                As  Boiler, Nathan, Kat and the man in the bowler stepped through the doorway onto their last car, Nathan could hear one of the men speaking loudly to the crowd. "Ladies and gentlemen, I must have your attention please.  Unfortunately, the locomotives brakes have become disabled."  Immediately men and women began chattering frantically, some screaming insanities as to what fate awaited them next. "Please do not panic.  Everything is under control.  If you would be so kind, make your way to the rear cars.  We are going to have to manually separate from the steam engine and use the cars brakes to slow our speed to a stop.  Please make your way to the back."

                Nathan could hear rummaging as people began following orders.  He turned to see the man in the other car talking to Kat's captor, "Your lead sir...everything worked as planned."  With this, the man shut the door, leaving the four of them trapped in the vacant car.  Nathan had no idea what awaited them.  He was praying that nothing was going to happen to Kat or Boiler, considering that the situation was a result of his presence.

                "Now, I'm only going to say this once.  Nathan will be coming with us and you two will stay put.  If anybody attempts anything remotely stupid, I will shoot the woman."  With this, the man pointed his gun at Kat.

                "Sir, please, is there no other..." Boiler was immediately interrupted by the man cocking the gun into position.

                "Boiler, step down," Nathan stated firmly, fearing Boiler or Kat would upset the man. "It's not worth you dying over... I'll figure something out, just let me go with the man."  Nathan moved forward to stand next to the gentleman in the bowler who remained fixed on Kat.

                "That's a good lad," he sneered, never once taking his eyes off Kat. "Ma'am, sir, I hate to leave so soon, but we have a train to catch, or car I should say...good bye."  He planted his hand firmly on Nathan's shoulder, pushing him to the door of the car from where they had just come.  Nathan took one last glance at Kat and Boiler before opening the door to see the one of the other two men awaiting their arrival in order to disconnect the cars.

                Nathan stepped across the gap to the previous car, with the man holding the revolver following behind him, still having his gun fixed on Kat.  "Separate the cars if you would be so kind, Stewart." The man nodded, pulled on a lever, and then gently began to turn a wheel located next to the door.  The cars began groaning as the metal fasteners became loosened.  Nathan could see through the door into Kat's and Boiler's helpless faces, trying to quickly come up with a means of rescue.

                "Wave goodbye to your friend,s Nathan...you won't be seeing them again."  The man gave a sinister grin, indicating he did not intend for the two to live.  From this sudden realization, Nathan knew that he had to get back on board with Kat and Boiler before they were both killed.  "Have you ever seen a train hit eighty miles an hour before, Nathan? Probably not, but don't worry... we've lined up a great show for you.  Just sit back and watch what happens when our special branded coal ignites in the furnace.  If we're lucky, the boiler may even explode!"  The man was laughing at this point, striking immense terror into Nathan.