Chapter XV| ROUGH NIGHT-Part 2

Jack's POV
    We went to the Infirmary as fast as we could. Holding the baby in my arms I started crying. It was too much stress and... I was scared that I would lose him. We arrived and Carson opened the door and asked.
-What are you doing here so late?
-Peter is running a fever- Elizabeth said worried.
-Don't worry, I'll check him right now.
-Thank you- we said.
    Five minutes. He was checking the baby for only 5 minutes. They were the longest, most stressing and scary 5 minutes of my life. Just the thought of losing him was killing me. Then I saw Elizabeth crying, like she never did before. I could see she was trying not to, but she couldn't stop the tears from coming out.
-He has a fever, which indicates an infection, and every time I touch his right foot he starts crying. If you pay attention you can see that it's red and a little bit swollen, so that tells me that part is where the infection is.
-Is it serious?
-I can't lie, it is not good.
-NO!!- She shouted desperate
-Elizabeth...- I said trying to calm her down.
-I have to operate on him. The operation is not serious, but, you have to know that the fact of an operation is dangerous. If we don't operate on him now, the infection could spread through the body. Now I will ask you to go out.
-NO!PETER!- she said desperate.
-Elizabeth...I know it's hard, but we have to go outside- I said trying to calm her down
-NO!Please...
    I grabbed her shoulder and took her outside. It was very cold outside, so we decided to go to Abigail's cafe to stay there and don't get hypothermia. We knocked on the door and no one answered. We knew i was late and they would probably be asleep, but still, we knocked again. For our surprise, Cody opened the door. He saw us crying and in that same second he hugged us.
-What happens?
-Nothing- said Elizabeth wiping a tear from her cheek- Peter is a little bit sick.
- Hope he gets better soon- Cody said.
-Thank you. Can you call Abigail please?- I said- And go back to sleep, it's very late
-Sure- he said.
He left the room running and went to look for Abigail.
Elizabeth's POV
Then I saw Abigail coming into the room.
- Elizabeth, Jack, what's wrong?!
- It's Peter...- I said sadly- He has to be operated on.
-Oh no...- she said- Is it serious?
- Not really. It's the operation. It is very dangerous, specially when it's on a baby.
-I understand...-  she said looking down to her feet- Do you want some tea?
-Yes, please - I answered.
- Me too, thank you- Jack said.
- I will be right back- she said before she left the room.
Once she left we sat down and started talking about something else, just to clear our minds. Abigail came in with 3 teacups and a teapot. She poured tea in each teacup and we started talking, once more, about Peter. We explained and hours and hours were gone. We even got to see the sunrise. It was beautiful, but we didn't appreciate it so much because it was not the best moment of our lives. We looked through the window and saw Carson going out of the Infirmary. The three of us ran outside.
-Is he okay?!- I asked desperate.
-Calm down, he is just fine- he announced while smiling.
    The first thing I did when he told us was to hug Jack, then Carson and last but not least Abigail. I started crying tears of joy, but I could see I was not the only one. We went to the Infirmary to see Peter sleeping like an angel. I didn't like seeing him with a bandage covering his leg, but of course I was very relieved. Then Dr Carson told us he could come back home two days after the operation. It was time to go to school. I arrived and told the children about what happened, and that I would be able to show him in two days, and they all understood. After that everything went just fine.