chapter 1

POV: Nerida Cascade

            "Nerida, you're late again," Ms. Morris said as I walked into her history class room.

            "Sorry, Ms. Morris, I was talking to coach about the swim meet coming up," I answered as I went to my seat in the back of the classroom.

            "Just don't let it happen again," Ms. Morris said with a small smile knowing that it would happen again and again until swim season.

            Class began as usual with us doing bell work before launching into another history discussion. Everything was normal. Even everything in the room was exactly the way it was supposed to be, from the bookcases that lined the back wall to the posters of presidents and maps that covered the wall parallel to the windows to the clean white board behind Ms. Morris's clean and organized desk. Everything was completely and utterly normal.

            Until the intercom blared, "Code red , this is not a drill, there is a group of armed intruders in the school."

            We all rushed to cover the window in the door, draw the blinds, lock the door, and hide in the corner of the room. Everything in the school was quiet. It almost seemed as if the school was at a standstill. Then we heard the bang of a gun shoot off the door handle before it  was violently kicked open.

            "Where is she?" the man in black who seemed to be the leader of all the group behind him growled.

            We all remained silent before he growled out. "Where is Water at?"

            "There's a water fountain in the hallway if you want some water that badly," I mumbled.

            "Who said that?" mystery man shouted.

            I remain quiet with my head down hoping he would ignore me.

            "I'm going to ask this one more time: where is Water?"

            Once again we kept our silence.

            "Looks like we're going to have to test them, boys," the main man said with a smirk and evil glint in  his cold brown eyes. "Grab the girls."

            We were all too stunned to move as the rest of the evil men in black grabbed a girl. before I had the chance he grabbed me by my fist and pulled me up.

            "This one should go first, Aaron," my captor said to the main man, Aaron.

            "Set her up then," Aaron replied with a evil smirk.

            My captor drug me out into the hallway and placed me a few feet away from the water fountain. He let me go and went to stand next to Aaron who was several yards on the other side of the water fountain. I stood frozen in shock and fright. Aaron lifted his gun and pointed it  at me.

            "Now I want you to stop this bullet. If you don't, well you know what happens," he told me.

            "How am I supposed to stop a bullet?" I yelled at him.

            I am going to die I am going to die I am going to die I am going to die ran through my mind repeatedly. My heart was beating a million miles a minute. My breathing was rough and ragged like I had gone for a long jog.

            "Just do whatever your gut says, but do not try to dodge it or I will kill you," Aaron answered. "3, 2, 1." Bang.

            Everything seemed to slow down. Just do whatever your gut says. I let my natural instincts come over me. I reached my arm out towards the water fountain and felt the pipes burst allowing water to come gushing out. I held my arms up with my palms facing out towards the men in black. A wall of water formed in front of me just as the bullet became especially uncomfortably close.

            "We've got our girl!" Aaron cheered with his men.

            Still following my natural instinct, I flicked my wrists at the men and launched them to the ground  before running out the back doors to the school without looking back.

POV: third person with the other elements while Nerida  is first using her abilities

            Fire, Earth, and Air sat together at the kitchen table in their small shared apartment. The three sat together eating in hopes to distract them from the pressure on them to find Water. The room was quiet except for their chewing and the ticking of the clock on the wall. Blaze suddenly felt his chest tighten as the new connection began to form. Suddenly he felt complete, and more powerful than he ever felt before. Next Rose felt the connection starting to form.

            Gale looked at his two best friends confused. "Guys what's going on?"

            "Water, she's using her abilities. The connection is forming," Blaze said to the airhead.

            "I don't feel any different- wait, wait, there it is," Gale said as his chest began tightening.

            Once the three elementals were recovered from the bond forming, they all stood together.

            "Looks like we have a rogue element to find."