Chapter 2

The slaves were loaded onto the back of the truck; the protective barrier was placed around them. They had to be protected from the rogues too. They would stop at nothing to rid the vampires from the planet, and if it meant taking out their slaves, then that would be what they did. The troublemaker watched her as she climbed into the truck behind the driver. He could see through an open window, she stood beside a large panel of monitors and buttons. He fiddled with the rope that tied him to the truck, he couldn't pass up an opportunity to talk to her. As the truck started to move, it jerked and slowly pulled out of the compound. The troublemaker managed to free himself from the rope and made his way through the other slaves.

'Hey.'

He leaned on the window sill, looking into the driver's cabin.

'What the hell?' she frowned looking at him. 'How did you get free?'

'The assistant isn't very good at tying knots.'

'Get back to your seat.'

'Can't. Get motion sickness.' he lied. 'Need to be able to see out a window or I'm going to upend my lunch.'

She rolled her eyes and watched out the windows for any rogues.

'So, what's going to happen when we get home? Bit of fanning the princess? Peeling some grapes?'

'Do you mind? I have to concentrate or we will end up dead.'

He couldn't help himself, he knew it was either get stuck in her mind or end up as her meal. She watched the monitors, showing the different views from around the truck.

'So I was thinking of going and getting a beer after work, thought you might want to join me.'

Ariella screwed up her face at him, unable to understand his behaviour.

'Bogie five o'clock.'

She looked at the monitor, sure enough a rogue was tailing them. The troublemaker watched as she pressed some buttons and on one of the monitors was vision of a spike flying out and taking down the rogue.

'Nice shot.'

She turned around and looked at him directly.

'Go and sit back down or I will take the whip to you personally.'

He leaned into the cabin with the cheekiest smirk he could manage.

'Promise? Because you've kinda got me going now, I'd hate to think that you were full of idle threats.'

She grinned as she thought of something much better.

'How about I give you something much more fun?' she pushed him back into the cargo space. 'How about I cut off all the air?'

She closed the window and pulled the curtain across.

'Nice going jackass.' someone muttered in the darkness.

He grinned, happy with the way that it went, making his way back to his seat.

*************************************

'My lady.' the butler bowed to her as he opened the door to the truck.

The slave keeper waited by the bottom of the stairs, his helper by his side. Ariella stepped to the side as the keeper opened the back of the truck. The sun made the troublemaker squint, the first bit of sunlight he had seen since she shut the curtain. He was first off the truck and quickly made it to her side.

'Hey thanks for shutting off the air, it really was annoying me.'

She looked at him and wondered if the vendor had a returns policy.