The Fallen: Breath of Life

DISCLAIMER: I do not own any of the music referenced in this book.  All music and rights belong to their respective artists and record companies.

“I was looking for a breath of life; 

A little touch of heavenly light

But all the choirs in my head sang "no"

To get a dream of life again

A little of vision of the start and the end

But all the choirs in my head sang "no".” 

~Breath of Life-Florence & the Machines

The Fallen: Breath of Life Play List

Breath of Life-Florence & the Machines

I was Broken-Marcus Foster

Volcano-Phillip Phillips

Shelter- Birdy

Eyes of the Devil-Seether

Disappear- Motion City Soundtrack

Familiar Taste of Poison-Halestorm

All Is Numb-32 Leaves

World So Cold-Three Days Grace

 Part l

          There will always be those that search for us, to study us, to destroy us.  This is why I must hide.  Not only will they need to find out how we are different from them, but why we are different from them.  I cannot be caught; I cannot give away any more secrets of my race.  The few of us that remain have so little left and we aren’t truly able to protect ourselves as it is.  

                                                                                 *     *     *

I stare out my window, overlooking a view that should be breathtaking, awe-inspiring.  The sea is an avid blue and the green cliffs should be staggering in their juxtaposition.  However, I can’t find it in me to feel that way about it, or anything else, for that matter.  I’ve lost all I held dear, due to my own stupidity.  I let them down. Me.  No one else is responsible.  I let them down and now my punishment is to be forever alone, forced to hide. I try to shake the melancholy, try to focus on something else.  I turn away from the window, wondering if looking at something that I know they would find beautiful is making me feel this way.  So lost.  Going to the small kitchenette of the cottage I’ve rented, I grab myself the single glass that graces the cupboard and pour myself a cup of water.  I force myself to drink it, even though I know that if I don’t, if I stop eating and drinking, I could eventually waste away and join my family.  However, I do not deserve such a reward, even if I thought I would end up where they are.  I deserve to rot here, on this foreign plane, for as long as my body will allow, because I caused their destruction.  I wish I could go back in time and stop all of the events that lead up to that terrible night.  But that power that is lost to me, now.  Had I known that such a stupid, seemingly miniscule mistake would take them away from me, I’d have done things so differently.  Sighing, I walk the seven steps from the kitchenette to the living room and plop down on the couch that has also served as my bed, these past several… months?  Has it truly been months?  I don’t have a calendar, a phone, or anything that will tell me, but deep down, I feel it. It has been months, at least four, since I ran here to escape.  Escape from the past, my actions, and the men who search for me relentlessly. I will find those men and I will kill them.  The Gods would support me in this, I know, even if we did fall.  Though they know the reason, they still treat those of left as outcasts and no help is going to be offered to aid in my quest. Searching for something to distract me, I pick up one of the few books that I brought with me, and read until my eyelids droop and I gladly fall asleep.