Lara Writes || The Demon Moshling [A Short Story]

Note From Lara:

Something I wrote aaaages ago. It's pretty stupid.

Lara Writes || The Demon Moshling [A Short Story]

I was just a regular poppet living in the rush and busy of Monstro City. I liked my ordinary life; I had my beautiful moshlings. I had my job at The Daily Growl. I had friends. 

But all of that is different now, it has all changed.

I sometimes wonder ‘If only I had decided to take the scenic route to work that day?’ or ‘If only I had stopped for Ice-Scream at Ooh-La-Lane and passed that dark alley just a few minutes later?’

But thinking about the past wouldn’t help me now. 

You must be wondering what in the name of Elder Furi I am talking about. Well, let me tell you. This is my story.

I skipped down the street, exuberant despite the dreary and dismal weather. Dark clouds blanketed the sky, blocking all sunlight from view, giving the seemingly abandoned street an eerie look to it. Honestly, it seemed a little quiet for a Monday morning but I quickly shrugged the thought off. All that had mattered to me at that moment was visiting the Moshling garden that evening to see if Lady Liberty was there so I could complete my ‘Worldies’ set.

I was ignorant.

The downpour of rain matted my hot-pink fur and soaked me from head to toe—the rain had even managed to flood into my baby blue boots, creating an uncomfortable situation for my feet. Perhaps I should have taken this ominous weather as a sign of what was to come but I was too encompassed in my own world of fairytales and rainbows to care.

Suddenly, I felt two fur-coated tentacles grip me tightly around the waist just before another came round my head to cover my mouth. My muffled screams were in vain, as no-one was in sight.

Before I even had the opportunity to take a look at my assailant, I was pulled into an alley and pushed up against a wall. Once I had recovered from shock, I took in the appearance of the monster in front of me.

He had many aqua-green furred tentacles protruding from his body and his face was masked by large, raven-black sunglasses, despite the weather. A sizeable hat was stationed lazily upon his head—it was mahogany coloured and matched the sleeveless (obviously) trench coat draped over him and a single spiked tooth jutted out of his mouth. I didn’t need to be Tamara Tesla to work out who the sinister figure standing before me was. He was Sly Chance, a force not to be reckoned with.

“M-mr Chance,” I stuttered, fearing for my life. ‘I had heard of him ‘disposing of’ monsters who had troubled him in the business world, but what had I done to upset him?’ I thought. ‘Surely he wouldn’t harm an innocent poppet?’ 

I see now that, in this corrupted day and age, it would not have been surprising had this been just a ‘regular’ mugging or ambush. Little did I know that he was not going to harm me. Not directly.

“I have something for you,” He said mockingly, in a deep and threatening voice, as he roughly placed me down. Not having time to compose myself, I fell to the ground with a thud and felt tears sting the backs of my eyes.

Too frightened to say anything, I simply looked up at him as he stared down at me through those vast glasses of his, seemingly gaping and endless black holes which would ultimately seal my doomed fate once and for all.

Still in shock, he realised I would not talk and went on to explain anyway.

“You see, I have these rare Moshling seeds...” he began, clearing his throat and placing a rather malicious grin on his face. “And I was wondering if you were interested in taking them off my hands... Free of charge—no catch.” He added, finishing, and waited for a reply. His rough voice added to my fears.