Chapter 4.2

Never-ending supplies of rum stand before the crew.

On the massive, circular wooden table placed are piles of meat, fishes, and beef. Aside from bottled rums, barreled ones are set messily beside the table. Everyone is given their own mugs with names written on them, the handwriting not-so-legible, but will do.

The crew had prepared well for one of their most-awaited evenings; their anniversary.

It was twelve years since Edward became the assistant of a privateer and was trained with everything he needed to know about the wonders and magic of ships. He became the right hand of a wealthy privateer who mercilessly robbed the Spanish. When the privateer passed, he wrote his will to Edward. He used the opportunity to live the life he used to dream of; endlessly navigating the seas, meeting new people, and discovering hidden treasures.

Twelve years had passed, too, when he gathered everyone in his crew. Not all remained loyal, for some had caused mutiny, but the faithful ones had stayed, those who believe in the Captain's capabilities and, of course, the adventure Edward has to offer. And tonight, two new members join the crew of The Nightingale.

Angelina observes the main deck, entertaining herself with how beautiful it seemed during the night, even much more splendid than her ship evenings before.

She yelps in surprise when someone pulls her into one of the cabins. Addison chuckles at the sight of a bewildered Angelina. "Sorry, sweet."

"You're not," says Angelina. "What're you up to, Addie?"

"Oh, nothing, love. 'Tis just that, ye stink. So much," Addison rolls her eyes. "T'was a joke."

"Addie!"

"Aye! I've clothes to lend," Addison's eyes glimmer in excitement. "So?"

"Aren't you such a sweetheart, Addie? Have you—ow!"

"Swear to the heavens to shut up," laughs Addison, bowing her head to get a glimpse of her piles of available clothes from under the bunk bed.

She pulls two sets of clothing: a powder-blue, fancy-looking long dress with a touch of creme, and a beige long sleeve top with brown pants. Of course, they come with a corset. Addison wiggles the clothes in hand, "So?"

Angelina grabs the corset first, then the long-sleeved top. She rolls her eyes at Addison, "You really think I'd be clad in that womanly blue dress?"

"Oi! 'Tis isn't that womanly. 'Tis also dangerous," says Addison. "Dangerously low neckline."

"Do you ever wear that?" asks Angelina. "Men in ships are dangerous too. Imagine being stuck on the sea for months. When a woman wears that, it'll drive 'ol of 'em insane."

"For some ships, aye," Addison asserts, putting the dress back to its place. "But here, nah. Stanley's such a girl. And Louis, he's too much of a big brother for Lula."

The two women laugh at Addison's statement. Indeed, Stanley acted like some innocent, cheery man who had a heart of a soft woman. And even though Louis seemed so intimidating, Angelina believed that he cares about his little sister more than anything.

Angelina starts removing her old clothes and snickers, "So everyone in this ship are girls. That's pretty nice to hear."

"Oi, ye'r too mean. Robert seemed like a fine lad," winked Addison.

Angelina sighs in irritation. "Oh, I completely forgot that the Captain was a man. And so is my former first mate!"

"Oh? Ye sure ye don't fancy him?" Addison raised an eyebrow.

She assists Angelina with her corset, tying it tight at the back. Angelina cries in slight pain when Addison pulls the lace tight, "Ow! And heaven forbid! I'd rather drown."

No. She'd instead go back to the village even when Commodore Stevenson is there. She'd rather give up the life in the sea in exchange for living happily with the man she loves. Angelina would rather do anything just to get Oliver back. But she couldn't, could she? And she feels the most guilt above anyone. That man treated her in the best way a person could and showered him with the utmost love. Oliver did everything for her. He is willing to sacrifice for her.

Deep down, she asks herself if fleeing from the man she loves was the answer to their never-ending problems, or was she just a woman that lacked the courage?

Addison nods. "Just making sure. Because the last time Edward fell in love was a lifetime ago. Like, for real. Not in this life he didn't."

"Oh, I'm guessing 'tis because of his mission or whatever," grins Angelina as she finally wore the beige top. "Swear that man won't ever find love. And he's thirty-one."

"Oh he did, sweet," Addison smiles. "That man loves the sea more than anything."

Addison taps Angelina on the shoulder as they went out of the cabin. They peek down below to the main deck, seeing the scattered bottles of rum and the well-prepared meat cooked by yours truly, Angelina El Salazar. The crew is having quite the celebration. Lula dances around with Louis as Stanley strummed his guitar. He sings the crew's theme along with Maggie, and even Esme looked so joyous.

Angelina sees Robert by the edge of the stairs, looking at her. She beckons him to join her and Addison there on the upper deck. "How are you feeling now?"

"Bien, and you? You were deeply wounded. I'm sorry, Capitana," Robert bows at her. Angelina taps his shoulder. "I'm doing fine, Robert. Don't worry about me. You can go and join the others."

Robert bows at her one last time before fleeing, but Angelina stops him before he could go down to be with the crew. Robert gives him a questioning look. "Thank you, Robert..."

He salutes his former Captain. An honest, dignified look plasters on his face. "Always, Capitana."

Robert rushes down to the crew. For a moment, the two women lay in silence. Angelina couldn't help but feel thankful, deep down in her heart, for having Robert as her first mate. She saw him as a best friend, too.

They've been together for years since Angelina gathered her crew. He was a lost man from Spain at that time, looking for a place to stay and a bit of money to buy food. She recruited him. Never did she know that he'd be the most loyal of her crew. Robert meant so much to her; the sight of him severely wounded with a pained look on his face broke her heart.

At last, she manages to run away from her soft thoughts. She clears her throat. "What now?"

"What now?" replies Addison. She rests her hands on the wooden barrier in front of them. "We go down and celebrate with them. Anniversary?"

"And then what?"

"Then we sleep?" Addison shrugs and looks at her. "Depends. If ye want to stay at the crow's nest tonight, ye could, lass. 'Tis the view that I adore."

Of course Angelina wants to. It's one of her favorite things to do when she owned a ship. She'd be the one to stay at the crow's nest and watch out for the enemies. If there aren't any, then the moon-lit sea is enough for her to regain her strength in the morning. That's definitely a yes for her.

"Come on, love. Let's go join the others," says Addison. Angelina followed her as she walked down the wooden stairs. Before joining the singing crew, she turns to ask Angelina. "Have you seen Edward?"

"No. Isn't he supposed to be here since 'tis your anniversary?"

"The man hates parties. Anything extravagant, actually. But he manages to join, for us."

"What a bummer kinda' Captain you got there," Angelina crosses her arms. Her eyes wander around the ship, asking herself as well as to where Edward might be. Where is he, anyway, she tells herself deep down. She purses her lips, "Isn't he brooding somewhere again?"

"Aye, he should come. He always does anyway. Come now, love! Let's 'ave some rum."