( 39 ) My Idiot Dad

( 39 ) – My Idiot Dad

Arc Greene

Thank you, dad.

I closed my eyes as melancholy threatened to overwhelm my senses. No matter how this story played out, I would die in the end. Sad, huh? At least, I could ensure the happiness of those I loved.

All will be well.

I wish.

The air seemed to tremble as I got closer to the gates. It was evidence of the astounding amount of magic present behind the walls. Dad might not be able to feel it, but I could, and it was making me sick. The pressure made me want to drop to my knees. How come I never felt this terrible magic when I met Len before? It was nearly impossible to comprehend how he’d kept his sanity despite this terrifying power inside him.

“Stop,” a calm baritone said the moment I reached the open gates. “You cannot go further.”

Even though I had never met Prince Hansel Jonathan of the Verona Clan, I could tell it was him who was waiting for me in the entrance of the mansion. Appearance-wise, he was older, probably in his late twenties, with a penetrating gaze and a menacing aura around him.

In his crisp black coat lined with gold cuffs, dark knee-high boots and white inner linen shirt, he looked like a fierce commander ready to rule the word.

Distract him, I ordered myself.

I put a fist against my heart and made a low bow out of courtesy. “Head Guardian.”

“It’s you,” he said flatly, his green eyes cold with disregard the moment I straightened myself. He crossed his arms over his chest.  “Did you come to stop me, Arc? Alone?”

“Yes.”

I wanted to punch his face to wipe that smirk, but as it was, I doubt I could approach him. He had set up barriers that would react to my movements. “You are too late.”

I shook my head. “Never too late, Your Highness. There is still a chance." Yes, I still had a card up my sleeve. One that no one but me knows. "You must go back with me. With Erica. Back to our present.”

“Do you take me as a fool, Guardian of Time?”

“May I be frank?” I didn’t wait for him to give me permission. I dove right in with a glare. “Yes. You're a fool. Don’t you understand the reason why I exist?” I asked him, my tone as cold as the bitterest winter. “Why I came to your time? I want to help. I want to change the future. You’ve lost your way, and I want to guide you back.”

“Are you a greater fool than me then?” he snapped, and he took quick steps so that he’s breathing down on me. His current body was much much larger than mine. “If saving the world means giving her up, then I’d rather the world be destroyed. I’ve regretted letting her go for centuries. I will not abandon her again."

"There is another way."

"You are but a child." He waved me away. "Go home.”

“Then, will you at least listen to my proposal?”

“You’re wasting my time.”

Before he could turn away, I offered him my hand with my palm up. An insignia made of swirling snake tattoos appeared on my wrist.

His eyes widened with recognition. Stunned, he woodenly made his way towards me. “How…?”

I gave him a smug look, though there was nothing to be smug about. I was resigning myself to a fate worse than death.

“Will you listen now?”

With trembling hands, he touched the insignia of the Verona clan. The moment he did, I knew I could convince him. I could feel it in my veins that everything was about to go right… until a certain bluish light appeared to our left, and the smell of mating flooded the air.

With speed that could rival sound, Hans' expression morphed into horror. And then he vanished into thin air, leaving me frozen with his display of the cloak of darkness.

“Shit.”

What did Dad do now?