2. To Appease the Monster Under the Bed

Cady...

Did I ever give Aiden that crystal?

Nope.

Did I make a mistake?

Probably.

Am I hiding the key to my own life or death in a drawer in my desk that doesn't even lock?

Yep.

A sound of pure, unfiltered rage rang through the warehouse and I was jerked free of my sleep so violently that I died inside. Sure, my body flung me up and blood continued to pulse through my veins, but inside I was deceased.

Curse words bounced around my skull like the candy inside a child's stomach on Halloween. When I blinked, I was sure I could see the inside of my grave already.

"Where is it?!" Griffin's voice roared followed by a sound of splintering wood.

Well, crap.

"I'm sorry, sir," Josiah ducked behind his bed as a small metal instrument flew past where his head had been, "I have no idea. They must've taken it while we were all at the work-sight."

Cassie, Grace, and Eva were gathered in the furthest corner of the girl's side of the room, whispering among themselves. Eva was still in a haze from the early morning wake up call of Griffin's wrath. Her hair was frizzed out in every direction and dark circles hung under her eyes. It was a shock to see her not pretending to be some kind of supermodel.

"Dude!" Allan held his hands up in surrender, "Calm down! I really have no idea who it could've been."

Griffin grabbed his collar, "I know you were here. You're saying you slept through someone stealing my crystal?"

"Alright, that's enough, Griff. Lay off, it's not his fault," Damon drawled, setting a stilling hand on his twin brother's shoulder.

Griffin dropped his head, silky, black hair falling onto his forehead and shading one of his piercing crystalline blue eyes from my sight. I was shocked he was in human form. He was talented, but I didn't know he could actually change without touching his crystal. 

Just another thing to add to his list of impossibly perfect qualities.

"I need a walk," he growled, the intimidating sound of his Other Skin rattling through his natural voice.

I was shivering.

Griffin could really scare the living crap out of you when he wanted to.

He went out the door and slammed it closed behind him. The pent up energy and anger inside of him was palpable.

"Someone should follow him," Damon suggested, "Make sure he doesn't rip someone's throat out."

My head snapped up, "He would do that?"

"No. It was an exaggeration," he chuckled at me confusedly, "You alright, Cady?"

"Fine," I replied, harsher than I'd meant to.

You're acting psycho.

Calm down.

"I'll go find him. He knows well enough not to mess with me," Cassie offered, patting Grace's shoulder.