Grunge : Chapter 1

Don't forget to vote, comment and fan if you like it! 

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

1

“That’ll be five forty six.” The gas bar attendant drilled out the numbers. He sounded about as pleased to work at this gas bar as a child did taking medicine.

“Sure, you take cash right?” Jude always asked just in case.

He gave her an exasperated look and then he swiped the ten dollar bill of the counter. It took him a minute but he finally fingered the coins he needed out of the till and then he slid them under the glass partition.

“Have a wonderful evening. Please come again.” Again, the nasal voice but she just ignored him and counted her change to make sure he hadn’t short changed her.

She wasn’t too bothered about the change; she just felt it was a normal thing to do. In reality she had a few other things hidden in her purse. The attendant had been too busy on his phone to notice that she was slipping things in her bag and the only thing she’d paid for were three candy bars. Inside her bag were three sandwiches, four Red Bulls and six energy bars. Another thing she swiped on her way out was a pack of batteries and some Dentyne.

The bell announcing her departure from the building sounded and she gave the attendant one last smile before she left. He just made a sniffing motion with his nose and turned back to the computer he was most likely checking his Facebook on. She remembered when she’d used that website. It was now just an unused page with her last status update being ‘Chipotle is so good at two am!’   

She had a weakness for Chipotle that she didn’t like to admit. She even wore crop tops, high-waisted shorts and flower crowns. The only thing missing now was a Starbucks in her hand and Instagram.

Outside it was chilly so she pulled her military jacket tighter around herself and looked down at the dirty brown boots she’d owned for the past four years. Her socks were starting to fray around the edges, she’d need to steal some now ones or go rummaging around those donation bins for something. That was where she did the majority of her shopping. The only thing she did buy were the bras she had in her leather backpack. The sun was setting so she pulled the sunglasses out of her long and slightly dirty brown hair to set on her small nose.

I think there’s a bus to Savannah, she thought, if I am lucky I can go to that Red Hands concert and actually see them play.

She wasn’t one of those girls that follow bands around but she was currently in Atlanta and the band she really liked was playing in Savannah the next night. They had advertised on their site that they’d be playing at the Muse Arts Warehouse. She’d even put some money aside to buy entry to their concert.

The Red Hands were an Indie Rock group that had appeared on the music scene two years ago in two thousand eleven. She walked to the bus stop down the road and sat down on the bench. Her iPod was in her jacket pocket but she was saving the battery life until she got to Savannah and she could find a café to charge it in. While Scarlet waited she sat back and thought about her life. She wondered often what she wanted to do with her life. Was she chasing some sort of dream by living like this? Was she waiting for it to fall into her hands and then she’d just know? She had no idea what the next day held for her but she was curious about her future. If her mother hadn’t been such an abusive person she might’ve been able to figure it out.

She quickly shook her head to stop herself thinking about her mother. It always depressed her and then she’d start smoking weed again. She’d made too many risky decisions while high and right now she couldn’t afford to leave or fall asleep afterwards. This bus was going to be here in thirty minutes. Instead of smoking she decided to eat a granola bar she’d stolen three days ago. She was proud of how long something could last her. It didn’t help her already thin and small frame. She was a tiny girl with small features and the small amounts of food she ate didn’t help. Luckily she had vitamins to help keep her healthy.