-17 || The Truth Potion

────── 〔✿〕──────

────── 〔✿〕──────

xvii. SEVENTEEN

THE TRUTH POTION

────── 〔✿〕──────

             AFTER THE INCIDENT IN WHICH FRED AND GEORGE HAD DRENCHED PRESCOTT IN WATER, MELORA HAD BEEN FEELING RATHER PLEASED WITH HERSELF. Not only had she witnessed the girl who had believed herself to be the most superior get her crown absolutely demolished before her very eyes, but she had also seen Ilia's detentions come to an abrupt end, and Prescott's extend over the course of a second week.

     The words which had been engraved into Ilia's hand were fading a little, but they were still very evident. It became clear to them that if she had written into her flesh any more so than she already had, then perhaps the cuts would heal far less. What the two were hoping was that the words would fade into a red blur, rather than remain as a readable scar. For Ilia would not be willing to brandish her lines that were set by Umbridge.

     I must not challenge superiors.

     The rule in which Prescott had scarred her hand with applied to Melora, amongst many other people, aside from Prescott. Within her family, disrespecting any of the adults would certainly not go down well. She had learnt at an early age to simply agree with whatever those who were in charge had said. The rules were similar to those set for a house-elf: don't disrepect superiors, don't rise against anyone, do everything you're asked, etc.

     I must not hurt inferiors.

     Ilia's line, however, was one that Melora would probably never get told throughout her lifetime. It was something that her family lived on. Inflicting pain upon others was what drove her parents to success - more so for her mother, but her father still performed in the same way, just at a less extreme level - and Melora was convinced that she would wind up going down the same path.

     "Good morning, Lestrange," a familiar voice said kindly, and Melora reluctantly looked up to meet their eyes. Astoria smirked back at her. "Obviously you've been getting closer to Weasley since we last spoke. It's so sweet that he protects you from Prescottin the way that he does."

     "He acts on his accord, don't make out that I'm the one causing all of this," she replied, with Ilia scoffing beside her at the younger girl's attitude. "I haven't formed a gang against Prescott, if that's what you're suggesting. Everyone just hates her."

     "It's very kind of you to let everyone else take the blame for everything, actually. There's Ilia, George..."

     "She doesn't ask us to do anything, Greengrass. We just do it, because we're good people. You, on the other hand, are a spoilt brat who didn't get what she wanted, and has therefore decided to side against those who ruined your not-so-flawless plan," Ilia suddenly snapped at her, once her name had been dragged into it. Astoria stopped, looking a little surprised that anyone had actually supported Melora. She stared for a moment, wondering what to do. Ilia spoke first. "Get lost, Greengrass."