Fight

“Regan, please calm down.” Nolan begged me twenty minutes later.

“Don’t tell me what to do” I snapped, pacing back and forth.

He sighed in frustration. “I’m not telling you to do ANYTHING.  Can you just turn off your emotions for like, two minutes?”

I clenched my jaw “If I could do that, I already would’ve…MANY times.”  He got up and stomped towards the door.

“Where are you going?”

“Out.” He snapped.  “I need a break.” And with that, he slammed our door shut. I groaned in irritation and flopped on my bed.

“Regan?” Mom said, knocking at the door.  “Can I come in?”

“It’s open.” I mumbled, glaring at the ceiling.

“What happened?” She asked, coming into the room and closing the door behind her.

“Nolan and I had a fight.” I sighed.

“What about?”

“I got mad at him for not trying to convince Izzy to stay and he told me to calm down, and I told him not to tell me what to do, and then he asked if I could turn off my emotions for two minutes, and I yelled at him and he left.” I said, all in one breath.

“Wow.  Okay, what I want you to do is calm down.  Stress isn’t good for my grandbaby.” She said.

“But what am I going to do about Nolan?”

“Let us handle that.”

“Where did he go?”

“I’m not sure.  We’ll get him back here, and you two can work things out.  Now, lie down and relax.”

“I can’t!”

She smiled. “Just try.”

“But-”

“Try.” She said, leaving the room.  A few minutes later, the door was flung open to reveal Ethan.

“Hello, my lovely sister-in-law.” He grinned.

“Um…hi?”

“Whatcha doin?”

“Nothin much, getting used to the idea of being a single mother.”

He rolled his eyes. “I think you’re over exaggerating a lot.”

“He was so mad at me though.”

“Yeah, he was mad, but he’ll get over it.  Trust me, I’m his brother.”

“But what if he doesn’t come back?” I asked.

“He’s going to come back.  Come downstairs.” He said, pulling me up and gently pushing me towards the door.

***

“He’s not coming back.” I said with tears in my eyes.

“He’s going to be back soon.” Ethan said, not very convincingly.

“That’s what you said six hours ago!  It’s dark now, he’s not coming back.”

“Regan? I’m sorry.” Izzy said sadly.  “It’s all my fault.”

“No it’s not, sweetie.” I said, tugging her arm lightly so that she was sitting on my lap. “It’s my fault.  I yelled at him and he left, but he’s coming back.” I said.

“I’m sorry for making you sad.”

“Sweetie, I get sad very easily right now.  I am sad that you want to live with mom and dad and Ethan, but it’s alright if you’re happy.”  I said and she yawned and rubbed her eyes.

“You guys should get going.  I’m fine here.”

“Are you sure?” Mom asked hesitantly.

I nodded. “I’m going to bed anyways.”

“Goodnight, sweetie.” Mom said, giving me a hug. “He’ll come back.” She whispered in my ear.  When everyone said goodbye and finally left, I went up to our room and crawled under the covers.  I tossed and turned for hours until the door opened and I felt the other side of the bed dip with the weight of another person.

“I’m sorry.” Nolan whispered, wrapping an arm around my waist.  I grabbed his hand and moved it so that he was no longer touching me.

“We’ll talk about it in the morning.” I said, turning on my side and staring at the wall.

************************************************************************************************************************************************ It came to my attention that Nolan was too perfect, so I had to add a stupid guy moment.  Sorry it’s short, but I’ll post another chapter shortly (I hope)