The Sweet Stench Of Decay

Cindy Nish walked through the recently re-opened lush rose garden, smiling as the delicate scent invaded her senses. She was there to find new samples of roses for her own garden. She would quietly purchase the seeds from the assistant gardener. She smiled softly as she lifted a black rose head gently to her nose, hoping to inhale the devine scent that was said to be intergrated into this species. She recoiled in disgust, dropping the flower head, balking. The scent was no longer that of sweet, subtle roses, but of... Bad pork? She frowned and stared at the fragile flowers. They seemed perfectly formed, in fact, they were the most beautiful roses she had ever laid eyes upon. There must have been good nutrients in the soil, for the roses to be so strong and sure. She crouched and pulled on a pair of plastic gloves, before picking up a handful of the rich soil, she rubbed it between her fingers and sniffed it. Not horse manure, or human... Or animal that she'd smelt before. She frowned and wobbled a little, she put her hand out to stable herself. But it sunk into the earth and she felt something hard under it, she grimaced as she pulled her hand out of the soft, almost gungy soil. She stood and pulled the gloves off. One of which dripped with decaying flesh. She'd seen TV shows, she knew what it looked like, and the smell just backed up her hypothesis, a scream lodged in her throat as she dropped the gloves. As she looked, she could now glimpse the top of a skull, dark matted hair springing from it. This time, the scream didn't get lodged and it echoed throughout the gardens, stopping everyone in their tracks.