Chapter 30

Between mid-terms, track meetings - we're having our first scrimmage this weekend - and training to fight the alphas these last two weeks have practically flown by in a flurry of crazy. The twins are waiting around almost every corner it seems - always watching...sometimes I can't tell if I'm relieved or annoyed with their constant stares. At least it's better than the worried looks of the boys.

Seriously, for people who know how I fight they sure seem worried for me. I think it's mostly due to the fact that a psycho wants me and I'm about two days from finding my mate. Yes, the long awaited date is finally within grasping distance and I can't help but wish I had more time - and not because I don't want to find him.

I can't help but feel like it's my fault all this is happening. The horribleness of this monster alpha named Fenris...who'd once been so kind to me until he and the others saw my eyes. The fire Derreck insists was never my fault and looks so guilty over. Even now, if and when I find my mate, he'll be in serious danger and that - no matter how much the others deny it - will always be my fault.

He and probably members of his pack will join our crusade and, depending on who's in the Godess' favor, many will die. On both sides.

Honestly, I don't think I'm enough cause for that cost. I understand this isn't all about me, but I'm a part of the prize for Fenris. That fact alone sends my stomach and head into a twisting spiral of confusion and pain. Moments like this is when the hard reality of our situation clicks, and all I want is to either curl up somewhere small and sleep or find a bathroom - yeah, nothing will stay down at a time like that.

"Hey, Beks?" Jase says quietly, taking the seat next to me in the caff.

"Hm?" I mutter absentmindedly as I play with the jumbled food on my plate.

"Seriously, you should take better care of yourself. All this skipping meals can't be good for you." He says and I feel as the rest of our group comes to join us, taking their seats - our group now consists of Jasynn, Rhys, Anna, Ian, Xander, Trey, and Laura. The last is only here for Ian and Anna...she could care less about the rest of us.

As two more people join us, I know without a doubt who they are. The twins join us at lunch every now and then when they're not busy trying to get girls' attention - seriously, those two are attention whores, I swear.

"Hey everyone." Colin says in his friendly tone, his addictive charisma dripping from every word.

"Colin." Laura says in appreciation, eyeing him like he's a large present she can't wait to unwrap.

I fight the urge to make gagging noises and roll my eyes at her blatant flirting. "So, we working out tonight?"

"Yea, the field over by the old house as usual." Ian says, shoving his burger into his mouth angrily - seems he doesn't fancy Laura's constant attention towards Colin.

"Sounds good!" Xander says happily as he munches down on his fries like they're the key to life.

"Woah, slow down a bit! You're going to choke on all of that." I say, staring at him with wide eyes.

"Don't worry about me, pretty girl. Besides, I have a pretty skilled mouth and I'm positive I could show you sometime." Xander answers with a smirk.

"Ew! Seriously, is that all guys think about?" I say, shoving my food a little away from me as my appetite quickly disappears.

"Gonna eat that, mom?" Rhys says, pointing at my food.

"I am not a mom!" I say, offended by his remark.

"Well...stop acting like one." He shrugs like it's the most obvious thing. "If he wants to die from eating his food too fast let it be. Besides, we'd be better off."

"What are you guys training for?" Anna asks suddenly, making me realize I'd forgotten she and the other humans are here.

"For the track meet." Jasynn saves us and I sigh in relief. "Coach wants us to practice outside school because, as I quote, we're a 'bunch of lazy bastards who don't seen to recognize how much he sacrifices for our ungrateful hides.'"

Anna bursts into fits of laugher. "Did he really say that?"

"Trust me, you don't want to know what else he said." I grumble, wanting nothing more than to punch the man after everything he said - seriously, is his life really that miserable?!

He needs a better hobby or something because, if he doesn't, losing a match will quickly become the least of his worries if he says something else. Yeah, fighting my wolf on a normal day is bad enough but I can't promise anything once I'm on my period...or when I go into heat. Not really looking forward to either - and the heat will be triggered after I find my mate.

Great...

"Hey, Jase do you...?" Anna's question is cut off by the sound of the bell signaling it's time to go to class.

Jase gives me a pleading look and I nod, telling him to go with her and finish their conversation. His smile instantly brightens to a voltage I'm sure can be seen in outer space as he rushes to her side and escorts her out of the caf. I roll my eyes at them and their completely adorable ways...I really hope they're mates because they're perfect for each other.

"You ready for class?" Rhys asks, making me groan in response.

"Do we have to?" I ask, rolling my head back in a circle.

He chuckles and links his arm through mine so I won't have any other choice - if I fought I could hurt him and he knows I refuse to do that. "Ah, you know you love it."