Little Girl

Appa, why are the stars so far?

Kuen smiles at his little girl. They were getting water from the river.  She's the fruit of the union between him and his deceased wife Lee Eun hye. Eun hye worked for Red Cross and was assigned in Thailand. They met thru a friend and had a whirlwind courtship. They plan on getting married after Mina turned 7 so she can serve as their lower girl, but war broke out and the Red Cross headquarters where she was based was hit. No one survived.

Kuen wants to make is daughter live a normal childhood so he escaped to the mountains with some of their friends. Theyve been there for ten years now, living on crops and fishes they caught at the stream. The child is so inquisitive and he always say she got it from her mom. He is so proud that she still felt happy inspite of the circumstance that theyre in.

Its the necklace of the goddess. Scattered to light our nights. He told her quietly.

Do you think oemma is up there looking down at us right now?

She is everywhere. She's in our heart when we're lonely and missed her. She's up there when she wants to intercede to the gods for us. So we are kept safe.

I miss her so.

Kuen sigh and kiss his daughter's temple. He carefully lifted the container of water and motioned for her to follow on the dirt path. This provide them with two days of drinking water.

They walked thru thick brushes and felled trees before they reached the cave that have served as their home for the past five years.

Mina arranged the sleeping bags for her and her father. Tomorrow she looks forward to catching meat so they can replenish their stock. They only have those during the colder months. She can feel the nip of cold whenever they go out at night and knows it will be soon.

Some of their friends moved back to their old place after the war but they stayed, and was left with plenty of tjings they can use to survive. Mina knows how to read and write and had plenty of books to read so she never gets bored.

They would visit their old town once a month to be updated about the current situation in their province. They would only stay there overnight and returns back to their cave. Kuen knows its selfish of him to stay there but there are harsher things in town than up here in the mountains.

Goodnight appa.

Giodnight Mina.

Kuen sigh again when he hears the soft snores coming from his daughter. He knows he need to make a decision soon. He turned to his left and watched the dying embers of the fire that he put out before they lay down to sleep. He is getting old and Mina will need someone to take care of her when he goes to meet his wife in heaven.

He put his hand inside his pocket and again felt the paper. This is for Mina's future, he thought to himself. She will be better cared for unlike if she stays here with him.

Captain. There's a letter that arrived from HQ.

Ares lazily look at the approaching soldier. He spied on the letter and knows that they were being called back. He never went back to palace after the first war broke out and now, fifty human years later, he still remains here.

Soldiers grunted as they went to their barracks to wash off the days grime. Some have hopeful looks when they saw the smile that graced their captains lips.

What is it with humans and their families. Ares shake his head. He knows the drill. There will be rejoicing and feasting before the soldiers went back to their families. They are always excited to go back. Even if they're happiness only lasted a few months. After the initial euphoria,  family tragedy or differences will make the same people wish they were far away.

He longs to rest in his chambers again but doesn't want to see Aphrodite. He doesn't want to talk to his father. Zeus's always look at him with diadain even when he didn't do anything wrong and he despises it.

Why can he just let him be, the way he dealt with Hercules. He left him alone. He should just talk to Athena, she's his favorite anyway.

How was the war, Ares?

He quickly look to his right and saw Mercury. He possessed one of the human again. Ares grinned.

Nothing new here. You missed me my boy? Or maybe his excellence sent you to spy on me?

Mercury grinned back. He and Ares goes a long way back. Being messenger of the gods he knew everything that happens to them.

I'm on my way to Hades. I Just made a quick detour to see you.

Oh so you agree that you missed me. Ares said with a glint in his eyes.

Don't mistake me for Aphrodite, Ares. She keeps on asking when you'll return.

Mercury smiled when Ares grimaced. He knew it would tick him off. That lady never stopped pestering him about the god of war. She has been asking him to deliver message after message to Ares but after the third time, Ares forbade him to bring him any message from her, and he agreed.

It was a well known fact among the gods that the goddess of love has been seeing Ares. They just turn a blind eye so as not to get Hera's ire.

Hephaestus knew but he also pretend it's not happening. His love for his mate is profound and deep.

Its been three human hours since Mercury left to go to the underworld. Just as predicted, everyone was drinking and feasting. All their supplies were cooked. This is their last day at camp. Tomorrow morning they will go back home.

Ares look at the sky.  The stars were shining brightly and the he knows the gods are favoring this night. There's no war as of the moment.

Someone tap his shoulder and Ares forced a smile to his comrade.

Its good that were going home before Christmas.

He nod his head. Its expected of him eventhough he doesnt practice the others' religion. The soldier moved on and disappeared inside one of the tents.

His eyes went up and watched the heavens again.

Where is home?