5

© Jojo B 2018

All rights including those in copyright in the content of this story are owned by Jojo B. It's Illegal to steal and/or copy.

______________________________________________________________________

Snakes and Splinters

5

On the Sunday, we all slept in until after midday. I didn't realise how fast the time had gone until I checked my phone. I had a text from Ario asking if I was still up for coming round.

"Walter," I turned over to face him.

He had his dark haired head buried in his pillows and he slowly stretched his body and lifted his head when he heard me call him.

"I said I'd go and see the Santiagos this afternoon," I told him.

Walter's face soured, "That's really not the first thing I want to hear when I wake up in the morning."

I laughed lightly and kissed his scarred cheek. He reached over with his hand and stroked mine. I placed a hand on his chest, feeling his heart thump steadily. I liked doing that.

Walter had a boxing bout this evening and I wasn't sure if he was up to his full performance. The fights could be quite demanding and Walter's bruises from the gang battle were only just fading.

"Are you feeling okay for tonight?" I asked him.

He nodded, "I'm good. I'm going to win."

"Good," I smiled. "I'll meet the boys there. Who's coming to watch?"

"Phoenix is busy," Walter said. "Landon will come, he usually does. Eli might be with Hayley, but the triplets will make it. They have nothing better to do."

I chuckled, "True. I doubt they'd spend their Sunday evening doing homework."

Walter half-smiled and shook his head.

I laughed and pointed a finger at him, "Don't act as if you weren't the same when you were still in school."

Walter grinned, "That's true."

"Good luck for tonight," I leaned down and pecked him on the lips.

"Thank you, seaweed," he smiled back at me.

***

It was a lazy day in the home of the Santiagos, although Carlos however was working in his office. Ario and I lounged in the sofas watching a movie as it had started to rain outside and we couldn't go to the shopping complex like we'd wanted to. I'd managed to meet him around 2pm and he'd already gone to football and been back. They started early most weekends, he told me.

Paulo was in the living room also, cleaning all of his knives even though they already seemed pretty spotless. He was slow and meticulous the way he wiped them down and I could tell that he just liked to clean them. His older brother Miguel was sitting beside him, watching the TV with a vacant expression. He looked like he was about to fall asleep. To be honest, Diego was the only one who seemed to be enjoying the action.

All of the boys sported bruises and grazes from the last fight. They were just starting to fade away, not that the injuries bothered them in the slightest.

"What are you watching?" Manuel asked in English as he walked into the living room without a shirt on.

Ario made a sound as if he was just waking up and I kicked his leg.