A New Beginning

It was over. As the people on board exited the warp, they began to regain their senses; for some, the warp can often make you light headed. Slowly, each one returned to their own jobs, though most had been trained for this type feeling and how to cope with it.

The captain gazed out at the wonders of this new system. The three suns locked in a circle with each other was memorizing, tugging and pulling at one another, yet making no leeway.

Proxima was nearby, and with a trained and steady eye, one could almost see Iris. The ship started to speedily move towards the planet, moving through the vacuum of space as if swimming. In the distance, one could see the other planets of Alpha Centuari; all moving around their respective stars.

Aims stood, and looked around at everyone who was in the cabin, then spoke into the intercom.

"When we arrive in the orbit of Iris, twenty people will board the transport ship, and go down to the planet. The rest will stay on the ship. Caling will determine who stays and who goes."

He lifted his finger off the button and sat down once more. Caling was the second in command of the ship, and at often times, Aims put less important decisions to him.

The void of space hung around the ship as it moved through the unforgiving cold of the universe outside, forever expanding into darkness. Proxima lay before them, and with it, Iris.

A woman who was manning the censer board came up to the captain, her uniform was just like all the others on the ship; blue, with a red rimmed collar. An insignia was upon her right, gold with a galaxy symbol which was meant to represent Andromeda. Her name was Jamie Anderson, a former flame of Caling in times past, even though such acts were forbidden on The Andromeda. She had brunette hair with deep brown eyes, her complexion was darker. Jamie's voice was warm and caring, yet she spoke in a tone of authority as befitting her rank aboard the ship.

"Sir, the planet is just as desolate as we first expected. There seems to be little to no signs of vegetation anywhere. Two large landmasses were picked up on our scanners, but that's all we know. Nor can we detect the atmospheric conditions, there seems to be something distorting the signal."

The captain looked at her for a moment then turned his eyes toward the glass in front of him. There she was once again, looking back at him in mystery and wonder. He pondered these things for a moment.

"Strange... Make sure to bring all the equipment when we land. And weapons. One cannot be too careful."

She nodded.

"Very good, Sir."

As she said this, the captain's eyes had always stayed on that planet which hides from him. But he would discover this world, claim it; and finish this job swiftly.

At times, Aims imagined where he would be if not here. So many circumstances at pushed him into this position. From a young age, with his mother's own passing when he was ten, he had to help provide many things for his family. Being the eldest and having three siblings could be rough. But his father had it rougher. Never had he cried over his wife, but the captain knew he was in constant pain.

After Aims' seven-teeth birthday, his father had moved them all to Mars. This is where he really began his career and his life. His father was afraid of the things which were developing on Earth, the chatter, the hate which began to boil on both sides. At seeing all this, his father was deeply troubled. But things on Mars were not so easy. The Martian people never took kindly to strangers, especially from Earth, no doubt. His father for many years was underappreciated and put into low positions for someone of his knowledge and skill. But still he moved forward in life, doing his best to carve out a world for his family.